NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope Advice

I am sure this has been asked a million times.  I know exactly nothing about telescopes.  My wife is a photographer and she has an interest stars, planets, space in general.  She has expressed a desire to own a telescope.  Our anniversary is coming up.  I would like to get her a telescope with astrophotography capabilities.  Using her camera not just a smartphone.  My budget is in the $300 - $500 range.  Advice, suggestions, and guidance appreciated  

I'm afraid that getting a setup that'll be usable for telescope astrophotography is simply outside your budget. 

You could consider a tracker that will work with some of her existing kit, such as the SkyWatcher  Star Adventurer,  that will allow her to use her cameras and tripods to take long exposure images using wide fields to great effect. 

Realistically, to get a telescope setup capable of good astrophotography, you would be looking at 3 times your budget. 

However, you can certainly consider getting a starter telescope to whet her interest,  such as something like a 6" dobsonian, which will allow you both to explore the night sky without the need to capture it digitally. 

If your wife has some medium to long telephoto (200-300mm) for her camera, a star tracking head might be the best idea.

If you are dead certain that you want to do astrophotography, the mount is the critical part. A Skywatcher HEQ5 is one of the cheapest and lightest suitable for long exposures. Then, you mount your camera and lenses up to ten kg or so (The mount itself is approximately 15 kg, without the counterweights)

Astrophotography is quite a challenge, I have to say. I am dabbling on this hobby a year or so, spent more than 2k EUR and I am still a beginner.

N.F.

Edited by nfotis

I think that the most easy/simple system is a Dobsonian telescope, which has manual tracking, and you can store it in the closet. The 6" and 8" are the most popular versions. Ideally, you should get one with metal focuser (the plastic ones WILL break some time). This is one class of scopes most suited for visual observation.

Another possibility would be a Maksutov scope, these can be mounted on a camera tripod too (a Skymax 127 is quite powerful, as it offers 1500mm focal distance, and you can fill your camera with the moon or the sun - and you can quite easily observe Jupiter and Saturn, depending on the mount).

Then, there are the Schmidt-Cassegrain scopes, like the Celestron C5 or C6. These are comparatively light for a reflector, and these are offered with various mounts and tripods.

And there's the refractor group of telescopes, with a huge variety of designs. Achromats, apochromats, ED glasses, triplets, etc.

Not all scopes are suitable for all tasks.

I suggest that you watch Ed Ting on Youtube, he's quite entertaining.

For example, look at this comparison of Dobsonians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qVXy7SDDo4

For an intro into astronomy, you can do *much* worse than watching his introductory videos for beginners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IlmekWsEAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zALE-KhlsEQ 

If you don't have a local store where you can touch and experiment with equipment, it'll be hard buying sight-unseen. Add the problems in availability of equipment these days, due to the pandemic screwing the logistics chain and the explosion of interest in astronomy due to the lockdown, and you might have to search for used equipment.

Hope that this helps,

N.F.

All for a 6-8” dobsonian, the majority of us would agree it is the quintessential beginners scope and will provide years of enjoyment. In time she will surely find herself upgrading eyepieces, adding accessories and such which can be had for little money especially on the used market. You both will enjoy countless nights under the stars with such a scope discovering all it can reveal which is enough to last you years to come. 

Once she (and I say she only because you are inquiring for her) as I assure you both will share in this journey equally. Once you have a better grasp of the hobby and it’s instruments you will be far better equipped to tackle astrophotography. Baby steps are the best way to tackle this hobby without being discouraged. Have a look at an 8”donsonian and a book called “Turn Left at Orion” on Amazon, I can think of no better start, I assure you both will be hooked, you will be excitedly posting your first light findings right here on SGL, we’ll be just as excited to read it!.

Edited by Sunshine

Hello Klukdog and welcome to the site. Don't discount the tracking mount immediately, have a look at the thread "Imaginging with the Samyang" as to what has been achieved especially as she is a photographer. A good tracking mount and a couple of books may be all she needs to start her off on the AP path. At the same time on the telescope side of things, a +1 for the 6-8" dob, for your budget it will be difficult to beat. Just be aware that they are not small so storage and portability must be considered. If storage or portability is a challenge, have a look at "The Mingus 90mm" thread.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Hm of course a dobson is probably the best choice for your budget. Your initial question had me more thinking about an eq5 mount, controlled by hand, but with the option to add motors after a while.  The dobson isnt really upgradable to do Photography.  I think you have that mount for 300/400£.  With a bit luck you’ll find a small used refractor to use both for visual and AP (after adding the motors to the mount

Edited by Robindonne

On 23/05/2021 at 18:36, Klukdog said:

She has expressed a desire to own a telescope.

For what purpose?  Surely she has expressed an interest in using it either visually or photographically.  Any idea which way she leans on usage?  Hopefully not just as a piece of interior decor.

Sign up for the free Sky & Telescope Astrophotography book, good advice for starting

https://skyandtelescope.org/astrophotography-guide-free-ebook/

What does your wife want to photograph to start with, even a Meade EXT can be used to take some moon/planet pictures easily, it’s small light has goto and tracking (in alt-az so limited exposure times) and is around your budget, it’s about working with what you can afford and knowing what you can expect to achieve

On 23/05/2021 at 17:36, Klukdog said:

I am sure this has been asked a million times.  I know exactly nothing about it.  My wife is a photographer and she has an interest stars, planets, space in general.  She has expressed a desire to own a telescope.  Our anniversary is coming up.  I would like to get her a telescope with astrophotography capabilities.  Using her camera not just a smartphone.  My budget is in the $300 - $500 range.  Advice, suggestions, and guidance appreciated  

Faces with the same issue. What did you choose?

Hi there,

I’m a newbie on the forum and a comparative newbie in terms of astro photography (just at the toe-dipping stage really) and I agree with everything said before. The question really is - what do you (or your wife) want to achieve?

Is it observing with the naked eye?  Go down the dobsonian route - or maybe smaller if space is an issue.

Is it taking photos of visible, barely visible and invisible (to the naked eye) celestial objects? In which case get the best tracking mount you can afford which will take the weight of the camera and lenses.

Either way your budget should get you started (but it probably won’t get you set up for both).

There is nothing quite like seeing an object through a telescope whether it’s the moon, planets or deep sky objects. Equal to this is the thrill of finding that you’ve managed to capture an image of something. 

Stu