Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OPT is Killin' Me!! (Radian Raptor Issue)

Well, I bought one.  Hope to use it someday.  I have a simple problem:  I have a ZWO ASI178MC that I hoped to use with the Raptor.  When I received the scope, I saw it required an adapter that was not generally included with the camera.  No problem, I'll order one.  So, I did.  It came.  It fit.  It didn't work (wrong length).  Silly me.  I thought they might know which adapter would work between a camera they sold and a scope they sold.  So, I called them again, explained the issue.  When I got the shipping email, it was for a longer adapter for a Canon EOS camera.  Very nice, I'm sure, but I don't own a Canon EOS camera.

I found some M48 extensions on eBay that should fix the problem...just a bit surprised at OPT.  

Apology for the rant.  Apparently, the telescope business is hoppin' and boppin' enough that details aren't as important as they might be.

OPT was within driving distance from me. Ever since Weatherwax sold the business the new operating model (phone/internet orders only, no showroom) has not produced satisfactory results for me on the occasions I've tried them. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Robindonne said:

Yep.  You wont make it long after this post

Yes, perhaps not.  But, I believe in accountability.  My hope is that they will become aware of the customer service issue and fix the problem.  The Raptor is a very good scope.  It deserves equal support.

53 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Seem to remember some guy getting banned from CN for upsetting OPT 😄

Dave

It could happen to me, I suppose.  But, I use my real name here and try to stick to the facts.  I have read the Code of Conduct and don't see a specific violation in this thread, but am sure if a subjective decision is made by the administrators to the contrary I will be notified.  I will be pleased to abide by such a decision.

Should OPT get in touch with me and try to resolve the issue, they know who I am and how to reach me.  AND, I will be just as pleased to report here that the issue has been resolved.  As I said, it is a good scope and deserves good support.  My goal in the post is merely to raise a caution flag for others who might buy this equipment, and hopefully, for the vendor to recognize an internal problem and fix it, even if my issue remains unresolved.

Edited by JonCarleton

I dont know why someone should be banned for posting a possible bad experience before contacting the seller first.  I could work two ways.  Last week i read a post from a guy who bought a new scope with some minor spots of glue inside the tube and some dust on the lens.  He wasnt sure to complain or not, so he asked the forum first about his concerns.  The seller also read his post and although some forummembers answered that the spots are no issue, the seller immediately offered a new scope and apologized for this mistake.  

So no worries, you did nothing wrong.