In the market for a new mount. Help me spend my money

Hi,

As the subject of the post mentions i’m in the market for a new mount. It should become a replacement for my GP-DX and for my Losmandy G11.  (Both non goto) and it should be complimentary to my Paramount MX. 
Scopes that should ride on it are my Omegon CC 154/1848 and my WO FLT132 (not together off course) 
Use will be strictly for lunar and  planetary imaging and occasional visual observing  I have no intentions on long exposure deep sky imaging  (i live in bright Belgian skies)

I’m willing to go for a premium mount in both fit, finish as performance. One important spec is that it should be able to take vixen dovetails, and not (or not only) Losmandy size. 
Currently I’m leaning towards an Vixen AXJ or SXP2. Being more than happy with the performance my GP-DX has given me for about 20 years (only the DD1 was replaced for a Boxdoerfer)

so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks, and clear skies.

Wouter. 

Oh I do love these "help me spend my money" threads! 

What is your budget? 

What about one of the Rainbow Astro mounts with the strain wave gearing? I think even the smallest one will be fine for those scopes, although I'm not sure on the weight & length of the FLT132 might need to check that.  Small and very portable mount if you need something to be moved around.  Not much in the way of reviews of them though as far as I can see so far. 

I’m not really on a tight budget. I believe especially with mounts if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Now for the rainbow mounts. I’m a bit reluctant to be an early adopter. Nor am I familiar with their long term reputation. 

The FLT132 is about 925mm focal length and weighs around 10kg could be more or a little less but one has to add accessories l a finder, etc. So it’s a pretty hefty scope for it’s aperture. 

Wouter. 

• Like 1

You might want to read this thread on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/609025-vixen-sxd2-w-starbook-10/?hl= sxp2

Good for 75 mins unguided subs, not that you need but gives you an idea of quality.

For what it’s worth very happy with the SXP2. Starbook Ten very good for visual use and you an always connect via network. Also whisper quite in operation which is helpfully in the summer to use near the house.

SXP2 would hold you current scopes, why go large with AXJ, it weighs a lot more?

The strain wave mounts are great but more a version one, so I would wait.

Also if you look at Japanese dealers they package Takahashi scopes with vixen mounts,if that helps.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Tak EM-200? 

Well. It seems these are getting hard to get. They don’t even show up on optique unterlinden’s webshop anymore and that’s supposed to be the European agent foor Tak. Also on the website of the belgian dealer only the em11 is currently listed. 

Don't know the Vixen range, but maybe a Skywatcher EQ6-R is good enough for your scopes?

(I am eyeing one for my scopes as a follow-on to my HEQ5 Pro)

For fit and finish, maybe iOptron CEM-70?

N.F.

Nice one Wouter!

please keep us in the loop with photos and an experience report. The AXJ really seems to be the perfect  portable mount. Which tripod will you be using?

Best Regards

Frank

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2021 at 19:46, wouterdhoye said:

Hi,

i decided to go with the AJX. Maybe more than i really need. But let’s be honest. Is a scope ever overmounted? Hopefully i don’t have to wait too long to get it. 

CS

Wouter. 

Nice choice. I used to have a Sphinx SXW and I really enjoyed using it. Verywell built with a clever design to minimise counterweights needed, and the Starbook was excellent, I think the Starbook 10 has a detailed moon map and you can command it to GoTo certain lunar features? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Froeng said:

Nice one Wouter!

please keep us in the loop with photos and an experience report. The AXJ really seems to be the perfect  portable mount. Which tripod will you be using?

Best Regards

Frank

I ordered the Vixen carbon fibre tripod. Should be light as a feather so compensates for the weight of the mount itself. 

• Thanks 1

Today the mount arrived. Although the weather will not allow any real testing of it I was quite happy with the fit and finish of the mount. I set up wit my 6” cassegrain, and hooked up the Starbook Ten controller and was delighted in how easy it was to set up and use. I really look forward to use it under the stars. 

F746C9C6-FA4D-476C-9D51-67A3FA4D4327.thumb.jpeg.fd4c98c22649bd9b91e92bc4862dc221.jpeg

• Like 3

This looks very nice! It arrived very quickly also. Can you give any feedback on operation yet? I am particularly interested in the slewing noise of the mount and stiffness of the carbon tripod...

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Just now, JeremyS said:

That looks a very smart mount 👍🏻
My only concern would be the apparently very small contact with the dovetail bar for such a large and heavy telescope 

It’s not a large nor a heavy telescope. The installed scope is a 6” gso cassegrain. Weighs only around 6kg. For larger or heavier telescopes you can simply install a different saddle plate. 

1 hour ago, Froeng said:

This looks very nice! It arrived very quickly also. Can you give any feedback on operation yet? I am particularly interested in the slewing noise of the mount and stiffness of the carbon tripod...

Thank you!

I used it only briefly just to do a quick test. Noise is really low. Not whisper silent. But nowhere near the coffee grinder noise some other mounts make. The tripod feels really solid. But I have not tested it in the field. For sure does not seem to visibly flex. The tripod feet sport both rubberized as well as spikes. So good contact on any surface is guaranteed.  The trippd is rather short though. But that is made up for by the tallness of the mount itself. 

• Thanks 1

Going back again I would of been tempted by AJX over SXP2, the extra capacity opens up what scopes you can mount.

@JeremyS The mount is flexiable, you can attach whatever saddle you want by hex screws, similar to Takahashi mounts. Gives great flexiability. Your favourite Takahashi dealer in Osaka sells Takahashi scopes with Vixen mounts by default!

Interested in how the carbon tripod works out, I’m tempted to buy one, however last year it’s been what has the postman bought today. 😃

BC6F9303-B644-4EE6-8F66-867700FA44EE.thumb.jpeg.d1a7877412f4e69f24db562e00f37c5a.jpeg

Not shown but I have the half pillar extension, very much worth purchasing.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wouterdhoye said:

I used it only briefly just to do a quick test. Noise is really low. Not whisper silent. But nowhere near the coffee grinder noise some other mounts make. The tripod feels really solid. But I have not tested it in the field. For sure does not seem to visibly flex. The tripod feet sport both rubberized as well as spikes. So good contact on any surface is guaranteed.  The trippd is rather short though. But that is made up for by the tallness of the mount itself. 

Thanks Wouter. It does look amazing! I hope you can get a good clear sky to try it out properly soon!