Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 LRGB with 550D and Polemaster 16.5 hours

Jannis

I remember this was one of my first and favorite targets in the night sky, and I still come back to it every now and then. The progress over the years have been rather huge, and so of course I had to come back after I modded my Canon 550D to see how it turned out - and the difference was quite huge! :)

Unfortunately the L data only cover the inner part of M51 so the rest of the image is not nearly as sharp, but I'm still very happy with it. :) 

L data is 5.5 hours using the Polemaster (QHY5L-II-M/ASI120MM sensor), and RGB data is 10h 50m with the Canon 550D - both on the Explorer 200.

M51 10h 50m 130x180s + 260x60s iso800+1600.jpg

• Like 20

Yes, I only  just cottoned on to that innovative use of the pole master.   In fact I find the whole business of using different cameras for luminosity and colour intriguing. I suppose strictly this image is L + OSC  unless I’ve grasped the wrong end of the stick.