Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lockdown purchases - how rational are we being?

iapa

Rational? What's the fun in that!πŸ˜€

Sold three scopes, bought two...and a teensy mount and tripod...plus some matching accessories. Sold a few more bits of clutter, got a FLO voucher and some PP balance, now buying a Delite. More to the point my notebook has more observing entries in the past 12 months than any previous year, but you still have to do something when it is cloudy. SGL is a source of information, inspiration, entertainment and temptation. Should it also have a Sanity Clause?πŸ€”

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Should it also have a Sanity Clause?πŸ€”

Β 

Β 

Or maybe one of those warning like they have on gambling adverts. Maybe something like

"Purchase astronomy equipmentΒ responsibly - Remember, you have to eat for the next month."

Or "Β Purchase astronomy equipmentΒ responsibly - when the bailiffs arrive it's too late."

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 06:27, Pete Presland said:

Been thinking about getting a Asi174mm, for most of this year, cant rush these decision πŸ™‚ Would be used mostly for Solar imaging, the Moon and ISS.

These people who procrastinate are the worst.

It only took me 40 years to buy my first telescope and mount.

• Haha 2

Bought a scope in lockdown (my new 16" VX16 Dob) and am slowly adding to it now with a Nexus DSC, various black and green eyepieces, etc.

Rational? I mean it's for looking at stars etc, it's not wholly rational to spend lots of cash on this, but...

Now, there's all the other lockdown purchases - the modular synths, the fancy espresso machine, the alcohol - yeah, okay, none of this is rational... 😁

• Like 2