Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon on the 20th April

neil phillips

Celestron powerseeker 114 Newtonian. EQ2 Mount economy RA Drive. QHY 462 C camera. Celestron Omni 2x barlow. F16. 

First is 75% downsized. Second is 100% Around 20 panes with lots of overlap Greyscale

More  happy with the balance of this one

Last redo sgl.png 75.png

Last redo sgl.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

Excellent detail and a very natural look, well processed!

Still some daylight creeping into the image becoming darker later, so not perfect. But seeing good. This small Newtonian really is super sharp. i got good collimation this night. Could see down to the level of pin pricks live on screen. I absolutely adore this little scope. doubt i can do much better without better equipment. Cheers Nik

Neil this is astonishing! Looking at the 100% image that little scope is resolving details it has no right to. Absolutely everything must have come together for this one. Did you use any filter with the 462c? (Have just ordered a 462c myself) 

The overall tonality is just right for me, the contrast range  is very natural and subtle looking. 

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Neil this is astonishing! Looking at the 100% image that little scope is resolving details it has no right to. Absolutely everything must have come together for this one. Did you use any filter with the 462c? (Have just ordered a 462c myself) 

The overall tonality is just right for me, the contrast range  is very natural and subtle looking. 

Thanks for  saying that Craig. Been putting in a lot of effort to come back to astronomy recently. Money too. Some of of which is yet to see the light of day. When i first started i couldnt control this wobbly EQ2 mount. or wayward cheap RA drive. But practice makes perfect. As you know i have been banging away for weeks now. So yes your right everything had to come together. Enjoying my astronomy again. Appreciate the chats we have had. Congrats on the camera i am enjoying mine. I am sure you will too. Though i do want a 290m again for sure. When you getting the 300p ? If you ever want to pm. No worries. And yes UV IR CUT 

Cheers

Edited by neil phillips

On 22/04/2021 at 22:00, neil phillips said:

When you getting the 300p

Have got it, picked it up last Friday but have been away from home this week and so not done anything with it yet. Will be adding a 120mm fan and baffle for the rear plus will wrap the tube with reflectix to reduce tube currents. Also got a moonlite  base plate on order so I can fit my motorised CR2. 

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Have got it, picked it up last Friday but have been away from home this week and so not done anything with it yet. Will be adding a 120mm fan and baffle for the rear plus will wrap the tube with reflectix to reduce tube currents. Also got a moonlite  base plate on order so I can fit my motorised CR2. 

Sounds great dont expect great things immediately often takes work. more blur than your 8" but good seeing good collimation and a IR 685 should do well. Good luck your backs going to need it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

Brilliant Neil. Well done Should inspire many telescope owners. You don’t need huge expensive telescopes to get cracking images

Thank you Trevor that should be the take home point. Small Budget equipment can get good results. I was hoping that would be the case when i started this journy.

What i didnt expect is the results to be up there with the expensive gear.

Both surprised and delighted by that if i am honest. If just one newbie with very modest similair equipment saw these images and was inspired to try themselves. Then thats something wonderful i think.

Soon i want to go bigger again. My 10" Orion F6.3 Newtonian has been cleaned upgraded and collimated.  Its now waiting for first light .  just need to wait for a back order mount. to get it going again. And i certainly will from time to time continue using the smaller scopes, its every bit  just as much fun as the bigger scopes. Just a reduction in resolution not a reduction in quality.

Edited by neil phillips