Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can any one help

Hi all

Does anyone out there in Uk know where i can buy a primary mirror for a Celestron Astromaster 130eq i bought my 8 year old grandaughter  the 130eq at the right price, When i was checking it out the other day i found it was full of dust and a cobweb  inside all over both mirrors and the inside of the tube so i took it apart to clean it and dropped primary mirror leaving a bit of damage, Just need to get hold of another primary any help would be appreciated. 

Can you post a picture of the damage here? Depending on how bad it is your best option might be to mask the damaged area rather than replace the mirror. 

With regards to a replacement have a look in the used telescope section on eBay. There was someone a while ago who was selling parts from telescopes individually, including astromasters, so perhaps there is one there. 

You could try contacting Celestron directly and see if they are able to supply a replacement, but I've not dealt with them to know how likely this option is. 

Generally speaking any 130mm f5 synta mirror should fit so perhaps you can find one in the second hand market, but I don't think it is very likely as one telescope tends to have one mirror and they don't usually get separated. 

Unfortunately, the cheapest option might be to buy an entire telescope. 

Let's see the damage first please, the mirror may not be too bad and could still be used. 

As you'll need to rebuild the telescope you may need a cheshire collimator to realign the two mirrors.

Edited by happy-kat

TS Optics in Germany sell GSO mirrors BUT I cannot see anything at 130mm. The smallest they appear to have is 150mm.

Maybe a generalisation but the price of their f/5 mirrors seem to match the diameter in that a 150mm is 150€, a 200mm is 200€. So if a 130 appears it could cost at an estimate and guess around 130€. Then add in shipping and the UK import VAT and whatever administration charges are levied the final cost for a mirror alone could exceed the scope.

Do not know where you are but at times clubs have "old" scopes they may want to lose.

An alternative is a wanted request but unsure of the rules for posting a wanted here, simply never done it or looked into it. There is Astro Buy and Sell UK. But I suspect that owing to the diameter being what it is that your best chance is what is effectively an old or used scope for a mirror.

As has been said a photo of the damage would be useful. If it is say edge damage then you might just make a sort of aperture mask to block off the edge and so carry on with a slightly lesser width mirror.

Just had a thought - search astroboot. They often have small mirrors, but the last time I looked they were hesitant about sending to the UK with the various importing rules. But they I think will be the best option. Looked and they have no 130mm mirrors listed and are not shipping or taking orders from the UK.

Email a few retailers like Harrison, 365 Astro, maybe Rother Valley and ask if they have anything. Might get lucky.

On 20/04/2021 at 06:54, poggle said:

buy a primary mirror for a Celestron Astromaster 130eq

As others have said pls post an image of the damaged mirror as it might still be in working condition. If you need to look for a replacement, the Skywatcher 130p/pds mirror might work as well. This also has a 650mm focal length and is additionally a parabolic mirror. The 130EQ mirror is spherical so focus may not be as sharp. Its not bad - I own one myself, but the parabolic ones are superior. Good luck

Just did a bit of googling and found the following. Note that I haven't had any dealings with any of the following but it may be worth picking up the phone or sending them an email to see if they can help:

https://www.edmundoptics.co.uk/

https://www.galvoptics.co.uk/

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OPTICS/telescopemirrors.html

Hi everyone 

Just posting update i am so impressed with all the help and information i have received from all of you i had a look on grovers site as suggested and purchased a new mirror arriving next week just in time for my grandaughters birthday next weekend what an amazing site this is 

Thankyou Poggle

• Like 1