Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP45 - Sunday, 25th April 2021 7:30pm BST - A History of Women in Astronomy By Mary McIntyre

Grant

We have the pleasure of welcoming back Mary McIntyre FRAS of http://www.marymcintyreastronomy.co.uk/ this week to give her talk 'A History of Women in Astronomy'.

Mary is an amateur astronomer and astronomy communicator based in Oxfordshire, UK. She is a keen astrophotographer and astronomy sketcher and is a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society. She has a busy talks schedule and also writes for Sky at Night Magazine and the Yearbook of Astronomy, is a co-presenter of the Comet Watch radio show and recently joined the Astro Radio team.

”A History of Women in Astronomy” – historically, astronomy has been very male-dominated. Throughout history there have been a number of trail-blazing women, such as Caroline Herschel, who worked to change that. But in addition there were countless less well known women who were doing astronomy, many of them needing to be taught by male relatives and mentors. This talk is a celebration of women who worked in astronomy during different periods of history and some of the challenges they have faced.

1095345149_HistoryofWomeninAstronomyPoster.JPG.d1d6e37c2edb6d8c60a050da59a5e128.JPG

I am looking forward to this talk and finding out more about some of these forgotten figures in astronomy history. Hope to see you all there 🙂

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP45 - Sunday, 25th April 2021 7:30pm BST - A History of Women in Astronomy By Mary McIntyre
Time: Apr 25, 2021 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/96503215412?pwd=c1pUM0dBMkdyUVJuQUhpYzJSTFVVQT09

Meeting ID: 965 0321 5412
Passcode: 304724

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, AstroRuz said:

Is there anywhere to catch these on demand? I missed it :(

There is a YouTube channel (though this presentation is not posted yet): StarGaZine - YouTube.  

I do hope to catch it again, as I missed the discussion at the end due to an incoming phone call.

Regards, Mike.