Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 450D remote timer issues.

Hi, 

I have a Canon 450D and a no name remote timer which I'm trying to do some wide field astro photography, just with the stock lens and a tripod, but the timer and the camera seen to be fighting each other.

I set the remote as per the many YouTube videos I've watched, no start delay, 20s exposure, 3s delay, 100 exposures.

I set the camera to manual settings, Bulb, 1600 iso, manual focus, and most importantly Self Timer/Remote.

This seems to me to be the problem, I press start on the remote and that starts the remote program but the camera starts off on a 10 second delay (as per the count down on the display) before it takes the first shot which puts the remote and the camera out of sinc.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I've read the manual, (RTFM😁) and Googled it but can't find a way to stop the self timer delay.

I tried turning the shooting mode to single shot but it went to Self Timer/Remote when I plug the remote timer in.

Thanks in advance 

I don't have this camera but I looked at the manual and it says on page 53 that you can have self timer plus continuou shots - would that not work? Alternatively you could use APT or BYEOS.

Capture.JPG

Edited by PeterCPC

Thanks for the reply Peter, I did try that using the infrared remote control I have but it only takes a maximum of ten shots, after a two second delay, but you have to stand there to keep pressing the IR,.

Which I did for about four cycles then put my hand into my pocket to keep it a bit warm and then thought  'where is the lens cap' that I thought I put in that pocket?

You can guess where it was, after that I gave it up for the night🙄

The self timer function is not normally needed to run the camera with an intervalometer however it can be useful if you want to include mirror lock up in the timing sequence as follows.

Set mirror lock up to enable.

Set self timer to 5 seconds or whatever is the lowest interval.

Set intervalometer for exposure time etc but make sure the delay is at least a few seconds longer than the self timer value, ideally you want a min of 10s plus the self timer delay.

If you are using the camera without the self timer function then uses a delay of between 6-12 seconds dependent on how long the camera takes to write to the SD card between shots.

Alan

• Like 2

I agree with the above post. I too use a no-name intervalometer with a Canon 1100d and find it works like this:

Set the timings on the intervalometer first.

If you are using 20 sec exposures, set the exposure time on the camera to 20 sec.

Turn the camera off.

Plug in the intervalometer.

Turn the Camera on and you are ready to go.

• Like 1

Thanks for the all the replies and suggestions.

Setting the drive mode to Continuous Shooting seems to have sorted it.

Who'd of thought setting it to the mode that said remote control would be the wrong one to use with a remote control!🙄