Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the most accurate weather app or site for the UK?

MKHACHFE

+1 for Ventusky

Last night I had CO and MO saying no chance, but could see the sky clearing so checked Ventusky. Got a report of clear until dawn so set up for a 4 hour run on NGC 3718. Got the full complement of subs, and when I went out to shut up shop at 4.30 the sky was still clear, though starting to get light.

• Like 1

i use meteoblue.  i really like their meteograms - everything in one diagram. I have a little script that refreshes them and runs all the time on an old tablet in the kitchen so I have an up to date forecast for the next 5 days. I've used them for years for my other hobby (flying). the meteogram also shows deviations from other forecast models show you can see 'behind the curtain' and decide for youself.

Like every forecaster, sometimes they get it wrong, but I'm generally very impressed with the accuracy and depth = for example cloud base and percentage cover is very useful for flying, as is the wind speed vs altitude.

stu

18 hours ago, Dezerker said:

Oh I hear you and feel your pain on this!  I headed off to a dark sky site near Dartmoor recently as a number of weather sites said "no doubt - clear skies all the way"...it started hailing / snowing at 1am and continued to so so intermittently (with full cloud cover) until I left at around 9am...how the algorithms (or is it humans, still?) interpreting satellite images can't spot a bank of cloud that size is beyond me...I recognise cloud can move faster / slower than they expect. but what frustrates me is they don't seem to update when they're wrong.  Even at 7am they were all still saying "yup, clear skies til midday"...Grrrr. 

And all this last week (including for tonight), BBC, Metcheck and Clear Outside are disagreeing with each other.  Very grateful to everyone suggesting alternatives.  My phone will soon be filled with weather apps, and I'll continue to do what I do now, which is take the average of several sites and see how it looks!!

All of that said, in recognising the difficulties forecasters face, I noticed that while we've had a relatively stable, high pressure over the UK recently, the wind speeds higher up in the atmosphere have been quite fast, so I'm guessing that can change things and bring different weather than was expected at shorter notice?

Oh man, that sucks. The two times my wife and I took a weekend trip to one of my dark sites in Wales, we pretty much left it until mid afternoon Friday to decide if the weather looks good that night and then we book somewhere..

And as for the met, BBC etc...I can't even understand how they can all disagree with each other so wildly. 

And on top of that, they were all wrong.. I fully understand, like you, that clouds are unpredictable, but even well into the night, when it was totally overcast, they still said clear skies on their websites. Frustrating. 

Cheers

• Like 1