Narrowband

Baader Morpheus range - General chat

5 hours ago, vagk said:

Has anyone compared any of these below :

Morpheus 9mm vs 10mm XW vs 10mm Delos

How close they are ?

I've compared my 9mm Morph to my 10mm Delos, and at f/6, they are almost indistinguishable except for field of view.  The Delos might be a hair sharper or contrastier, but it is a subtle difference if it exists.  I'm happy with both.

I've used all those eyepieces over time, but didn't compare them at one sitting.

I would note that I use the 17.5mm, 14mm, 12.5mm, and 9mm Morpheus today, however, and that is by choice.

Below 9mm, though, I prefer TeleVue Ethos and/or APM XWAs.

If it weren't for astigmatism and needing glasses, I would only use 100° eyepieces.

• Like 2

Funny enough I did compare some of the Morphi and XW's having owned both.

I wear glasses to observe at certain FL due to astigmatism.
For me I found the XW's worked better with my face shape and glasses type, but we all vary.

This is a bit like asking which is better, they are both excellent, but one will be more excellent for you alone,
without trying you will not know.      A case of the Your Mileage Will Vary comment on CN.

• Like 2

On 02/11/2021 at 08:28, johninderby said:

To think that about a year ago 365astronomy had them on for £149.00. 😕

Missed a trick there. Crazy price considering how competitive they are with Pentax and Delos which are double that price. 

• 7 months later...
Just now, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi all,

Long time away from the EP for me. Been very busy with my full time job and my own start up business.  I hope eveeryone is keeping well.

How are we enjoying the Baader EPS!

Cheers

Baz

Good to see you back Baz, glad all is well! 👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi all,

Long time away from the EP for me. Been very busy with my full time job and my own start up business.  I hope eveeryone is keeping well.

How are we enjoying the Baader EPS!

Cheers

Baz

Welcome back Baz! 

• Like 1

For years I bought this ep and I bought that ep, I tried this ep and I tried that ep some good quality, some excellent quality, then I decided to buy a set of Baader Hyperions. Within a month I upgraded to a set of Morpheus and retained the 31mm and 21mm Hyperions and never looked back. My scopes (6) love them. And my 2 solar scopes also.

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 16/04/2021 at 09:31, Stu said:

I have a 12.5mm on its way to me, seemed to have good reviews and is very well priced compared with others. If I get on with it, I may try the 17.5mm too. It will be interesting to compare with the Leica Zoom and see whether I stick with the convenience of the Zoom start using fixed focal length eyepieces more.

Hi Stu,

Do you still haev the 12.5mm Morph in your collection?

Cheers

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

How do you find them compared to your other Green & Black ep's

I’ve not spent that much time with them, and not for quite a while. There is some info in this report where I was comparing the Tak FC-76 with and without the CQ Extender module, and it seems I was not totally convinced by the  edge sharpness in faster scopes.

The 24mm Panoptic remains sharp right to the edge regardless of the scope, whereas I did see some degradation in the Morpheus in the 76DC which is not that fast at f7.5. With the extender Q module fitted making if f12.75, the Morpheus tightened right up at the edge.

Most people really rate the Morpheus eyepieces (and I still think they are very good at the price) so I don’t know if the issues I see are eye related for me, or something that others see too.

• Like 2

To fill in between my 17.5 and 12.5 M's I bought a Celestron 15mm Ultima Edge rather than the 14mm M. It provides wonderfull views for a lot less under my needed conditions but I still consider my 4 Morpheus and 2 Hyperions my No 1's and then comes my 24 Pan. The 15 Ultima is pretty competent !

• Like 2

I have three of the Morpheus range (6.5, 9 and 12.5) and two XWs (5 and 14). In my 8" dob, the views are almost identical, but I somehow feel they have different 'characters', with the Pentaxes feeling clear, efficient but cold and the Baaders warm and involving. This seems to me to be scientific nonsense but I'm always happier with a Morph on the scope.

It smacks of the endless vinyl v. CD debate.

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 4

I own a Pentax XW 10mm and Morpheus 17.5mm and 4.5mm, which I consider to be my best three EPs. The 4.5mm generally gets a bit less use than the others, and while I suspect that the Pentax is an overall "better" (better corrected etc.) EP, my favourite is definitely the 17.5mm. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stu said:

See, I knew I would get drummed out of the brownies for criticising the Morpheus 🤣🤣🤣

Haha in fairness I personally have not compared the Morphs directly to any TeleVues but I am led to believe that a rough rule of thumb might be that TeleVues in general favour correcting for field curvature at the cost of more rectilinear distortion? (Please note actual eyepiece experts, this is just my rough understanding). At some point I would like to try a T6 for a direct comparison however! 

I am fairly sure that the 10mm XW is generally sharper/better well corrected than the Morpheus, and if anecdotal reports are to believed the 10mm is possibly a standout from the rest of the already excellent XWs - somehow managing to find the sweet spot of minimal aberrations all round, and performing well in most scopes. 

Perhaps, then, it is counterintuitive that I slightly prefer the 17.5mm Morpheus - although similarly I have read that some people think it's the best of the bunch, maybe the slightly different design from the other Morpheus? I think for me it's also about a few other things as well - not too bulky, nice eye lens size, comfortable to use. It occupies a nice mag/TFOV range in my two main scopes with a decently wide field of view and sufficient background darkening to give good contrast, which is very useful in my heavy LP skies. All very subjective of course! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badhex said:

Haha in fairness I personally have not compared the Morphs directly to any TeleVues but I am led to believe that a rough rule of thumb might be that TeleVues in general favour correcting for field curvature at the cost of more rectilinear distortion? (Please note actual eyepiece experts, this is just my rough understanding). At some point I would like to try a T6 for a direct comparison however! 

I am fairly sure that the 10mm XW is generally sharper/better well corrected than the Morpheus, and if anecdotal reports are to believed the 10mm is possibly a standout from the rest of the already excellent XWs - somehow managing to find the sweet spot of minimal aberrations all round, and performing well in most scopes. 

Perhaps, then, it is counterintuitive that I slightly prefer the 17.5mm Morpheus - although similarly I have read that some people think it's the best of the bunch, maybe the slightly different design from the other Morpheus? I think for me it's also about a few other things as well - not too bulky, nice eye lens size, comfortable to use. It occupies a nice mag/TFOV range in my two main scopes with a decently wide field of view and sufficient background darkening to give good contrast, which is very useful in my heavy LP skies. All very subjective of course! 

I’m no expert on describing these things either, but in my experience you are right. The 24mm Panoptic is very sharp across the field (both from a field curvature and astigmatism aspect), but there is plenty of geometric (rectilinear?) distortion. I don’t like using the Panoptic for viewing the Moon as it appears very egg shaped as soon as you get off axis.

I do think there is something in the Morpheus in terms of comfort, exit lens size etc that makes it easier to look through than an XW. The XW does present a cool, and very sharp view but  I find eye placement quite fussy on it, needing the eye guard to be extended to the correct amount to ensure proper eye position.

• Like 3