NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When you spot a problem with someone else's kit.

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

Just to be clear I am not talking about small imperfections more like big issues effecting the function of the scope. Aka cross shipped stars that do not focus to a point. 

In my case that is understood

How many of you are confident Adam is not talking about there telescope ? I will kick this off its not my Celestron 114 Newtonian. Or my Evostar 120. Though that is a lttle soft. As most F8 medium size achros are.

How well do you know your equipment. How confident are you about your images ? I am guessing its some deep sky images. But could be wrong. I have seen one very expensive telescope appearing to under perform. But one has to be careful about soft images, because focus and seeing can mimic soft optics.

Just read Adams update. After posting lol

Edited by neil phillips

On 07/04/2021 at 13:22, Adam J said:

The issue is that I don't want to take someone who is happy with what they have posted and effectively make them unhappy and potentially discourage them. 

In my opinion there’s your answer.

I am no expert and wouldn’t ever offer advice unless it was asked for, I don’t want to be responsible for incorrect advice, especially in a hobby where opinions differ so frequently, I definitely wouldn’t advise someone to send a scope back, when it is possible that another member may have the opinion that the collimation may need tweaking for example. If someone is happy and proud of what they have produced then encouragement should be given. As people learn, then they start to ask questions, leave them be to enjoy what they are doing until that time arises. No one should assume that everyone takes their past time as seriously as you, or we do

Edited by Jiggy 67

I once bougth a used Mini cooper s and after some time decided to give it to my ex-wife.  We owned a normal mini during our marriage and the cooper s was always something special, fast etc.  It was (according to me) exactly like that, fast, cool etc. Anyway, she didn’t want the car so i sold it.  Having used the car some months, i sold it to a German surgeon with eyes for detail and probably plenty of spare time to fill with his nurburgring hobby.  I drove the car to his office in Germany where we made a testride through the mountains.  It took about 5 minutes until he told me something was wrong with the car.  Not really wrong but he could tell me from behind the wheel which airhose probably lost pressure going full speed.   Without negotiating he bought the car.  A good week later he texted me that the car had its missing 15/20 hp back.  😐.   I was very happy with the car.  Visited about 20-30 different cars before buying that final one.  But no matter how happy i was,if there was an Adam J who would have told me im not getting full potentional, I probably would have gotten even happier after the repair.  

conclusion for me: please make people use their gear to the full potential if you notice they are using it wrong or somethings is wrong, and dont back down mentioning (helping) when having the risk it temporarily hurts.  

Edited by Robindonne

The thing I am confuzzeled  about is what Adam needs/wants out of this topic and how he is going to evaluate the responses.

When I was young I thought I could fix the world, now I realise that the world is old enough to look after itself.

sorry for any feathers ruffled.

Edited by Corncrake