NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor lense sealing

I have found a replacement for my fungulated Skywatcher refractor and  wonder  about sealing the lenses  to stop any damp potentialy seeping in. I  wonder if the fumes of anything I use might affect the coatings ! It will have to be kept in a garage.

thanks Jonathon

Just don't leave the scope in an observatory, and never cap a dewed lens trapping moisture inside, and you'll never have a fungal growth problem. I really wouldn't seal the lens in any way. If moisture does find its way between the elements, as moisture has a tendency to do, it may well be trapped permenantly inside if you attempt to seal the objective. Plus, doing anything to the lens will not only void any warranty, it will kill any resale value.  If your lens dews over on the outside, rear side, or between the elements, bring the scope back into the house and leave it uncapped at both ends until all evidence of moisture disappears, and you'll never have a problem.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Just don't leave the scope in an observatory,

? i thought that was the whole point of an observatory, so you can set up your equipment and leave it set up instead of taking it apart when you've finished for the night, 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

The two things that fungus doesn't like is fresh air and light so never pack any optics away in a box or similar..

Alan

If there's enough moisture, fungus doesn't care.  I've had mushrooms grow in my yard during the summer after heavy rains despite 100 degree F temps, full Texas sun, and lots of fresh air via breezes.  That's why I keep all my optics in my cooled and heated house.  Despite being stored in cases, I've never had fungus issues with any of my astro or photographic gear for over 30 years doing this.

My garage also has no fungus issues because it's surrounded on three sides by temperature controlled rooms and has plenty of ventilation via the large door gaps.  My shed, though, is another story.  It sits at the low point of my lot in the shade and has moisture issues.  To do it all over again, I'd raise it a foot off the ground, put a vapor barrier under the floor, and add lots of ventilation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JemC said:

? i thought that was the whole point of an observatory, so you can set up your equipment and leave it set up instead of taking it apart when you've finished for the night, 🙂

By all means leave the mount set up, but I can't think of anywhere worse than a cold, dark, damp-aired observatory, where a dewed objective lens has no opportunity to thoroughly dry out - especially if the refractor is capped while dewed. Even when not dewed, an observatory is not a good environment to leave a refractor, unless there's a dehumidifier running, and even then I'd still be uncomfortable about it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

By all means leave the mount set up, but I can't think of anywhere worse than a cold, dark, damp-aired observatory, where a dewed objective lens has no opportunity to thoroughly dry out - especially if the refractor is capped while dewed. Even when not dewed, an observatory is not a good environment to leave a refractor, unless there's a dehumidifier running, and even then I'd still be uncomfortable about it. 

Unless you're in a desert, then moisture issues are all but nonexistent.  I've been looking at a second home near Mayhill, New Mexico where lots of folks have observatories.

4 hours ago, toofaruphill said:

I live in  warm sunny   England!

In a rather small house. I d be quite happy to keep it inside and peer  through its around  its tripod  to watch television , but my indoor boss wont!

I keep my tripod fully retracted and closed.  It sits in the front corner of the hall closet by the door hinges.  Coats keep it from teetering over.

The refractor sits in a case at the back of the closet behind the coats, again not taking up much space.

How big is your refractor and mount?  Do you have no closets whatsoever?  Perhaps it's time to declutter them if they're stuffed to the gills.