NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh the shame!

I finally tracked down the source of the dustbunnies in my images. Oh the shame of this DSLR sensor!

For the record I was reading up on how to clean my sensor and the key thing I needed to know was to shoot a reference image at F/22 which really highlights the problem! each of these was a vague blurred smudge in my subs

REM_6979.jpg

Edited by irtuk
  • Like 4

Yeah,

Taking a daytime flat at >f15 will be a revelation to many camera users!!!

I find it shows the smallest of motes on the camera window and sensor coverplate.

I use IPA and Kimiwipes for the cleaning.

well worth the effort.

The cleaning kit was in my amazon basket before you could say "filthy!" 

I guess its 12 years since I bought the camera and I don't think I have ever manually cleaned the sensor in that time, I used the cleaning menu option but I guess there's some stuff that won't shift!

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I use IPA and Kimiwipes for the cleaning.

I've never heard of using beer (India Pale Ale) to clean sensors.  At least you'll have something to drink when you're done. 😉

Edited by Louis D
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Yeah, Taking a daytime flat at >f15 will be a revelation to many camera users!!!

In my case I was perplexed that I could see nothing untword down to F22 in daytime flats, till I found an old lens that went down to fF32 and there was just a hint of my 'thing'

But I had a troubling persistent obvious mote right in the middle of pics thro my microscope objective as prime lens. ! so they must be working at even less F ?

I am still investigating (and should prob move this to the other forum ) It does not bother me until I wish to show my wee beasties in other forums, when it becomes embarrassing,, or a lot of work in videos to remove it !

So, the question is how meticulous should we be ? Should I swab with IPA, do I feel lucky Harry???!

If it is very obscure does it mean that it is not on the sensor (sharp and obvious in many F ?) or not between the filter elements, or etc ?

Edited by Corncrake

To be effective, the daytime flat should be taken with the camera/ lens/ scope focused on infinity.

I use the KimiWipe, folded and fitted over a plastic "spatula" cut from an old credit card. The width of the flat face just slightly larger than the height of the sensor.

A couple of sprays with IPA on the KimiWipe and one wipe across the sensor - discard the KimiWipe. Repeat as necessary.

Any dust motes on the sensor cover plate appear a defined black spots, if they are on the front filters, entrance window etc. they appear slightly diffuse and sometime as the "dust doughnuts"

http://76.12.87.114/resources/dust.cfm

This is an easy calculator to gauge where the dust may be located.

( I do solar imaging at around f20 and any residual "motes" show up as "new" sunspots!!!!!)

Edited by Merlin66
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, an alternative....

The IPA/ KimiWipe is 100% safe to use on sensors/ camera windows/ filters etc etc.

There's a Y tube (

of the guys showing how they clean Astrodon filters - IPA and KimiWipes!)  )

Edited by Merlin66

6 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

http://76.12.87.114/resources/dust.cfm

This is an easy calculator to gauge where the dust may be located.

( I do solar imaging at around f20 and any residual "motes" show up as "new" sunspots!!!!!)

Thanks for that site, and yes very sunspotish !

Sanity check please ! : I guess, where it says " CCD Camera Pixel Size in Microns" it means Pixel Pitch not Pixel Area ?

(  and thanks to op for loan of the topic :) ! )

Edited by Corncrake