NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spectacular lunar seeing conditions !

John

Got out as well on a nice clear night, which I wasn’t expecting from the clear outside app.

Too good to miss

Didn’t  bother with the finder scope as the Telrad has proven to be so accurate during the alignment process.

just did solar system Lunar alignment which tracked perfectly.

Just took these photos with my smart phone and various Baader Morpheus EPs, conditions were very good.

Going to get a ZWOASI224MC for some more planetary photography.

Cheers

8765FD14-BF74-444F-B960-8E682D0FF570.jpeg

4B619683-461D-46EF-9202-A8928776B1B5.jpeg

2856A794-B520-4E01-B376-A9FC248BB8F4.jpeg

• Like 7

I did manage to have a look at the moon last night with the C8. Gassendi was indeed impressive (says I who is not a "lunatic"). The seeing was really very good. I think I even managed to see the secondary component of kappa Leonis - a tiny dot on the diffraction rings of the primary... Then the clouds rolled in (VERY FAST)!

• Like 3

I had the 150PL out last night, it was a little hazy but I bumped the scope a few weeks ago and I had to re-collimate it (my first attempt), so I was itching to see if it was job well done. Started off on the moon with a 20mm, 16mm, Hyperflex zoom and 2x focal-extender to hand. Apart from the interruption of passing dense cloud, it looked really clear, even at 150x (16mm+FE).

I aimed at polaris for a star-test (looking good), I moved on to M42 for a bit and then had a wander around the Plaiedes with the 20mm in. Then I decided to go back to the moon, since the whole sky was looking likely to cloud over completely. I put one half of a polariser on the FE and the other half on the 16mm (well, so I thought). Popped the EP in and turned to adjust the brightness...ahh, why is my view zooming? I'd inadvertently put the Hyperflex zoom in, it's about the same shape as my UWA 16mm! Oh well, it's in there so let's just see. Got all the way down to 7.2mm and the view stayed crisp! I was quite shocked, just a little "heat-haze" effect but still. Works out at x333. I'm too inexperienced to know if that's exceptional or not but I was blown away, watching the moon slide by between nudges.

Unfortunately, it wasn't long before the cloud rolled in and I packed up. Just in time, since there was a short shower just afterwards. Bonus for the night: star-test on polaris looked spot-on.

• Like 3

Finally a break in the clouds tonight, for a while at least. 🥳

Got the ScopeTech 80 f/15 out. Haven’t used the Scopetech in a little while but it is grab’n’go so suitable for a break in the clouds. Seeing was great and the moon was a sharp and steady as I can ever remember. Showed great detail and could push the mag a bit. Put the Vixen HR3.4mm in and was surprised at how bright and detailed the image was. 353x is pretty high for an 80mm achro but gave the impression I could go higher. No noticeable CA either. Went in to get a barlow but the clouds had moved in by the time I returned. 

All too brief a session but reminded me of how good a lunar scope the ScopeTech 80 f/15 is.🙂

AE315D7A-CF9F-4F22-93E9-7EB70E25B145.jpeg

• Like 5

The ScopeTech scopes are limited production scopes made in Tokyo to resemble the old style classic refractors but with the latest advances in lens coatings, proper baffles etc.so even better performers than the originals. Think the optics are made in the same place that makes the optics for the Takahashi Starbase achros.

Edited by johninderby

I have a clear spell here now as well. Seeing not quite as good as a couple of nights ago but still nice.

Interesting to see how features observed two days ago with shadow in them look now they are fully illuminated.

Aristarchus is blazing white tonight. The steaks of impact melt material can still be seen running up the inner walls of the crater though.

Sirsalis Rille looks nice too at the edge of the Oceanus Procellarum.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Just back in from a short session. Ticked Bailly off, which is number 37 on the Lunar 100. I was never quite sure which crater this was from my Atlas but it’s really well positioned this evening. Started off with viewing the Nova. I’ve managed to observe it every night, other than Monday, this week. My first observation was on Sunday. I don’t think I’ll ever need to look up where M52 is again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've come in now with more cloud arriving.

On the moon I finished my session with a look at the interesting pale feature Reiner Gamma which runs, or wriggles, past the crater Reiner. Very odd feature comprising of pale and darker material. Apparently it has no thickness to it and a strong magnetic field.

Finished off with a pleasing split of Zeta Hercules which had risen out of the Bristol light glow into steadier sky.

Nice session considering that it was raining from quite thick cloud 3 hours ago. I was using my 100mm F/9 refractor tonight but not an achromat I'm afraid.

Reiner Gamma and Reiner Crater (not my image):

640px-Reiner_Gamma.jpg?1616803916901

Edited by John
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, John said:

I've come in now with more cloud arriving.

On the moon I finished my session with a look at the interesting pale feature Reiner Gamma which runs, or wriggles, past the crater Reiner. Very odd feature comprising of pale and darker material. Apparently it has no thickness to it and a strong magnetic field.

Finished off with a pleasing split of Zeta Hercules which had risen out of the Bristol light glow into steadier sky.

Nice session considering that it was raining from quite thick cloud 3 hours ago. I was using my 100mm F/9 refractor tonight but not an achromat I'm afraid.

Reiner Gamma and Reiner Crater (not my image):

640px-Reiner_Gamma.jpg?1616803916901

I've been doing a bit of research into the feature I mention above, Reiner Gamma and it is quite fascinating. It is the best example of what is known as a lunar swirl. I came across this nice little LRO movie about this feature:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Reiner_Gamma_vid.webm

Fairly readily visible in most scopes as well :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 1