Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bye bye for a while......

Skipper Billy

2 hours ago, tomato said:

‘Dreaded galaxy season’? My favourite time of the year mate! Plenty of choice up there for all tastes.👍

When all you have is a 384mm at your disposal, galaxies (except for maybe two or three particularly big ones) are no bigger than a dust mote... 🤣

I also have a Celestron C8, but that would require probably a better mount, an OAG, and a different guide-camera.

I have just started with the basic "wide-field" setup, so I am not there, yet. That's why, for now, I dread galaxy season!

• Like 1

No worries, I’m too far North for the delights of the Galactic centre, and galaxy imagers have the ‘dreaded moon’ to contend with every month.

But like I say, there is something up there for everyone.

17 hours ago, tomato said:

I have just added up my images captured since August 2020, 15 in total and that includes a 24 hr mosaic project, but obviously having a dual rig helps.

If you want to intensify your image capture I thoroughly recommend a “fast” scope like the RASA and one of the latest sensitive CMOS OSC cameras. 

Just look at @gorann’s results from a dark location to see what can be achieved with integration hourly totals still in single figures, and at the other extreme, reasonable results can be obtained on some NB objects when the moon is out in about an hour.

‘Dreaded galaxy season’? My favourite time of the year mate! Plenty of choice up there for all tastes.👍

For the RASA it has now become IFN season. Plenty of it this time of the year and very rarely imaged. Last night I even made an attempt at IFN around Polaris - but that was far from easy since guiding does not work there.

Some very nice images there David @Skipper Billy, quality rather than quantity! I have seen some nice IFN images with the FSQ106 so maybe you could reconsider taking the rig down.

2 minutes ago, gorann said:

For the RASA it has now become IFN season. Plenty of it this time of the year and very rarely imaged. Last night I even made an attempt at IFN around Polaris - but that was far from easy since guiding does not work there.

Some very nice images there David @Skipper Billy, quality rather than quantity! I have seen some nice IFN images with the FSQ106 so maybe you could reconsider taking the rig down.

That’s interesting!   Always figured there was [removed word] all to image from March onwards with a focal length of 500mm or less.  How does it fair in Ha?

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

That’s interesting!   Always figured there was [removed word] all to image from March onwards with a focal length of 500mm or less.  How does it fair in Ha?

Apparently the red signal in IFN is not Ha gas emission but reflected light that can still be captured with a Ha filter so I may at least give it a try (when the moon now is almost back), see: http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2017/01/01/Clouds-Of-Andromeda.html

• Like 1