Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope for Galaxies

Hi,

This might be a bit of an ask, and probably doesn't exist, but is there a scope with the same sort of price to performance ratio as say the Z73 is for relatively widefield imaging?

I understand that the longer a focal length of telescope tends to get the more expensive too, and then sampling comes into play with Camera Pixel size etc. but I just wondered if there's a good performing longer focal length scope that doesn't cost lots. Something like £500ish which is where the Z73 is priced at?

What you've said there is a little confusing to me... you say for relatively widefield imaging, which implies a relatively short FL scope, but then mention you want a longer FL scope?

Longer than the z73 but still quite wide..  is that what you want?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

What you've said there is a little confusing to me... you say for relatively widefield imaging, which implies a relatively short FL scope, but then mention you want a longer FL scope?

Longer than the z73 but still quite wide..  is that what you want?

Sorry yes it was a bit confusing ! What I mean is, is there something for around the same price / performance ratio as the Z73 but in a longer focal length scope. So isn't super expensive but performs well. A good performing long focal length scope for around £500 - which scopes are worth looking at, if any, for that kind of money?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Sorry I just re-read your OP, and the thread title, and it made perfect sense... don't know what I was thinking about when I read it through the first time!

Are you wedded to refractors?

Not sure on that one tbh, I've only ever had a refractor, and one at that. I have heard that reflectors can need collimating and that's something I don't know anything about really, but if I understand correctly you can get faster imaging / cheaper reflectors / longer FL ? I wouldn't know where to look though.

59 minutes ago, smr said:

Sorry yes it was a bit confusing ! What I mean is, is there something for around the same price / performance ratio as the Z73 but in a longer focal length scope. So isn't super expensive but performs well. A good performing long focal length scope for around £500 - which scopes are worth looking at, if any, for that kind of money?

6-8inch F6 Newtonian for galaxies. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smr said:

Any models in particular ?

Actually I'll retract that and say to get the 150pds instead as the focus position on the one I liked is not suited to use with a camera. You would need a lower profile focuser. 

Should leave you enough left over for a baader coma corrector and a collimation tool. 

Edited by Adam J

If you can get one there is also something like the SW Explorer 150 PDS at F5. Slightly shorter FL and not quite the quality of the TS version but may be fine on pixel scale depending on the camera. Obviously it is quite a bit larger than the Z73 so the right mount will be important too.

Just be aware of the 30% increase on imports - I got stung for this recently.

6 hours ago, PadrePeace said:

Clarkey,  is that 30% import duties charged by our customs guys or charged by Europeans to ship to the UK?

It's 20% VAT and 10% charges. So in reality it's just 10% as when we where in the EU we would have paid EU vat instead. As that is now taken off at purchase the VAT cancels out. 

Edited by Adam J

The answer really is simple in one sense: a Newtonian will give you the focal length, at reasonably fast F ratio, for a relatively low price. However, it will not be plug and play in the refractor sense of the term. If you go for an F ratio like F5 or F6 then basic collimation tools have a fighting chance of giving you good results. If you go for F4 expect a much longer battle with the instrument to get it into acceptable tune.

Olly

WRT to 30%, yes I realise in theory it is just the same plus 10%. In reality I'm not sure the prices have dropped enough to compensate.

Getting back to the question at hand, for the money you want to spend I would certainly look at the Newtonian route. F5 or F6 are pretty easy to collimate - only takes a couple minutes to check on set up. It's just another task on the tick list. I have just re-collimated my 200P from scratch (secondary removed) and it took 10 minutes to get it 'perfect'.

I also have a Stella Lyra RC8 which I do like for imaging although it is F8. So far I have accepted the collimation as it is - OK but not perfect. I will collimate it in the summer when 'galaxy season' is over. Given the horror stories I hear about getting them set up right it might be in the 'Buy and Sell' section come the autumn!

On 13/03/2021 at 14:19, Clarkey said:

WRT to 30%, yes I realise in theory it is just the same plus 10%. In reality I'm not sure the prices have dropped enough to compensate.

Getting back to the question at hand, for the money you want to spend I would certainly look at the Newtonian route. F5 or F6 are pretty easy to collimate - only takes a couple minutes to check on set up. It's just another task on the tick list. I have just re-collimated my 200P from scratch (secondary removed) and it took 10 minutes to get it 'perfect'.

I also have a Stella Lyra RC8 which I do like for imaging although it is F8. So far I have accepted the collimation as it is - OK but not perfect. I will collimate it in the summer when 'galaxy season' is over. Given the horror stories I hear about getting them set up right it might be in the 'Buy and Sell' section come the autumn!

Like the cupboard full of stuff and bank account empty! Sounds familar...😂