Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barnard dark nebulae in the Taurus Molecular Cloud

gorann

This is a two panel mosaic where I used one of the panels from my recent mosaic, containing Barnard 14 (with IC2087), and added a new panel (the bottom half of the image) dominated by Barnard 18. These nebulae belong to the Taurus Molecular Cloud.

12 hours of total integration time with the RASA 8 at f/2 brings out quite a lot of light and colour even in dark nebulosity.

Imaged 10 - 14 Feb with the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC (gain 100) without filter. 180 x 4 min. Stacked in PI and processed in PS and PI.

I also post an annotatded low-resolution version grabbed from Astrobin.

From Wikipedia: The Taurus Molecular Cloud is a molecular cloud in the constellations Taurus and Auriga. This cloud hosts a stellar nursery containing hundreds of newly formed stars. The Taurus Molecular Cloud is only 140 pc (430 ly) away from earth, making it the nearest large star formation region. It also reveals characteristics that make it ideal for detailed physical studies. It has been important in star formation studies at all wavelengths.

20210211-14 Below IC2087 RASAmosaicNyPS29smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-02-26 kl. 10.37.25.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icesheet said:

Your images just make me want to sell my gear and get a RASA and 2600MC. If only it was as easy as that! I know that it takes a lot more than gear to produce what you do 👏🏻 

Thanks a lot!

If you just can get the distance to the senor and tilt right it is a great set up. I often do have to work quite a bit in processing on star shapes in the cornes, but then using and APS-C sensor is outside the promised range from Celestron. It seems from my experience and others that the factory collination works right out of the box and holds, so in that respect it is just like a refractor.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

Oh, wonderful, what a beautiful image. The dark nebulae really give a sense of depth with all those background stars. And it looks like the brightest part of IC 2087 is hidden from our perspective :).

Thanks a lot! Yes, there is an interesting shine there behind the dark dust.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Excellent Goran!

Thanks for the map identifying these- I'm going to check and see if theres a chance visually on this, size basically.

Thanks a lot! I think dark nebulae may be a challenge visually, but the very best of luck! There are some bright spots there including IC2087.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot! I think dark nebulae may be a challenge visually, but the very best of luck! There are some bright spots there including IC2087.

Youre welcome Goran!

The dark nebs are a hobby in itself for me, from seeing those around the NAN and also in it, over to Aquila and there are some very nice displays.Then the area around M24 has splendid dark ones to see.

I just checked the size roughly- what size is the DN B14? I think I need around 3 deg to see it properly.

7 hours ago, jetstream said:

Youre welcome Goran!

The dark nebs are a hobby in itself for me, from seeing those around the NAN and also in it, over to Aquila and there are some very nice displays.Then the area around M24 has splendid dark ones to see.

I just checked the size roughly- what size is the DN B14? I think I need around 3 deg to see it properly.

The field of view of my image is about 7 x 5 ° if I got it right.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1