NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher & Synscan alignment

I have a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 mount. It’s all working fine, except I have an issue with alignment. This applies whether I’m in EQ or Alt-Az mode.

I set it up using  one or two star align without problems.
However if I use the handset to GoTo another object, I usually need to do fine tuning adjustments to centre on the new object. But the mount disregards these adjustments, so if I use the GoTo system to centre on a nearby object, or revisit the original object a second time, it’s still off by the same amount.
How do I tell the mount that I have centred on the new object and that it should now be aligned with that object ? 
My iOptron MiniTower has a feature that does exactly this – once set up correctly and aligned, for each new object I go to there is an “ALIGN” option, and if I use this it now knows the correct position. Can I do this with SkyWatcher and Synscan ?

Thanks. Angelo

On 17/02/2021 at 18:25, AngHor said:

I have a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 mount. It’s all working fine, except I have an issue with alignment. This applies whether I’m in EQ or Alt-Az mode.

I set it up using  one or two star align without problems.
However if I use the handset to GoTo another object, I usually need to do fine tuning adjustments to centre on the new object. But the mount disregards these adjustments, so if I use the GoTo system to centre on a nearby object, or revisit the original object a second time, it’s still off by the same amount.
How do I tell the mount that I have centred on the new object and that it should now be aligned with that object ? 
My iOptron MiniTower has a feature that does exactly this – once set up correctly and aligned, for each new object I go to there is an “ALIGN” option, and if I use this it now knows the correct position. Can I do this with SkyWatcher and Synscan ?

Thanks. Angelo

I had a similar issue with my EQ6r mount last week. Really frustrating! After a few people on here giving me some tips and a friend of mine spending a few hours on the phone I tried a few things. So I did a factory reset to clear all stored data to ensure nothing was pushing the mount out. I then updated the hand controller software and updated the mount gears software on skywatcher website. Then I went back to basics with the polar alignment so I did the test of putting polaris in centre of reticle (cross in centre) rotated 180 degrees checking polaris stayed smack central and didn't drift off. Once I knew that the axis were aligned correctly I went to the next test. For the second test I placed polaris into the circles using the middle circle track. Unlocked my RA clutch and rotated to see if polaris stayed on that circle and rotated like a train round a track without drifting. Once I knew that was accurate I rechecked the polar allignment position for my polar app unlocked clutches got everything facing back north. Turned the mount off and back on then I entered all the details as shown on synscanit and went for 2 star allignment. Everything was perfect for me last night. Good luck hope you sort it. 👍