Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab & Go Packing for Mak 127

I saved the original packing for my Mak127 and have supplemented it with a cut-up foam sleep mat and a strip of sticky Velcro. Now all fits snugly in a standard sports bag with room to spare for finders, diagonal etc. Star Adventurer tripod + AZ GTI an easy carry - all seems safe, ready to Grab and Go! 

F0164CAA-F06E-4615-9A18-CB2F6247B1D4.jpeg

FA889B7D-ECFA-4E35-A026-0621807E8AEF.jpeg

• Like 1

I did something similar for my daughter's 127 Mak, except I just wrapped bubble wrap around the whole thing, so it has about 3 inches of protection on all sides.  The finder is in bubble wrap in a side pocket, as are the other accessories.

It's also nice because it doesn't look expensive sitting in the back of her open SUV at a public campsite like an aluminum or Pelican case would.

• Like 1

Nice!  I'd also consider looking for a cheap camera bag with compartments for the smaller items, if you didn't fancy a metal flight case with pluck foam.

I think with any of these DIY travel / storage solutions the key is usually to keep the original foam packing as it'll be the best snug fit for the scope.

• Like 1

For small scopes and accessories. Cool bags. They have a bit of padding, but you will want to supplement.
They come in sizes from a couple of drinks cans up to quite big.
Again, taking on board Louis D comment. They don't look expensive if left in a car.
I have sometimes used a small cool bag to hide a camera, and provide insulation if it is left in a car on hot day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

For small scopes and accessories. Cool bags. They have a bit of padding, but you will want to supplement.
They come in sizes from a couple of drinks cans up to quite big.
Again, taking on board Louis D comment. They don't look expensive if left in a car.
I have sometimes used a small cool bag to hide a camera, and provide insulation if it is left in a car on hot day.

This is a good call - was thinking of some kind of padded envelope solution for finders etc, like you get in some laptop bags. Coolbags much more cost effective!