Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarmate plus controller

P.Rees

Hi 

I set up the AB yesterday afternoon. I could not change the AB hotspot to the home wifi wirelessly. So I hardwired the Ras pi AB to my router as suggested by Steve (my PC is wired also).  After I did this it worked and I changed the AB network settings to my home router I saved the settings and I started loading my INDI settings. I shut down AB properly,

I  have now turned the Ras pi AB on. On my PC I have typed astroberry.local into my web browser and nothing happens. I assumed the AB would be connected  to my wifi? On my PC wireless settings AB is back as a hotspot it should have disappeared. I have tried turning firewall off and VNC off all to no avail should I go back to hard wirering the AB and start from the beginning again?

I have  AB PC turned on for the the next hour if anyone has any suggestions. Many thanks for all your help

Cheers Peter

15 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Hi 

I set up the AB yesterday afternoon. I could not change the AB hotspot to the home wifi wirelessly. So I hardwired the Ras pi AB to my router as suggested by Steve (my PC is wired also).  After I did this it worked and I changed the AB network settings to my home router I saved the settings and I started loading my INDI settings. I shut down AB properly,

I  have now turned the Ras pi AB on. On my PC I have typed astroberry.local into my web browser and nothing happens. I assumed the AB would be connected  to my wifi? On my PC wireless settings AB is back as a hotspot it should have disappeared. I have tried turning firewall off and VNC off all to no avail should I go back to hard wirering the AB and start from the beginning again?

I have  AB PC turned on for the the next hour if anyone has any suggestions. Many thanks for all your help

Cheers Peter

In the network settings where you changed to your home wifi, there is a box under one of the tabs that says, to always use this connection, or something similar, you need to check that under your home wifi connection, and uncheck it under the hotspot connection.....👍🏼

OK good thing is the hard-wired connection wins on start- up, if that's not there then it will attempt to use any new wi-fi settings. But if that does not wok it defaults back to its own hotspot.

So use the hard-wired connection and astroberry.local to connect then:

• Right-click wireless icon on the taskbar
  • Select Edit connections
  • Double-click Wireless connection
  • Enter your network name in SSID field
  • Go to Wi-Fi Security tab
  • Enter your network password in Password field
  • Remove ethernet cable
  • Reboot

That should be it. My AB is configured so I can't repeat a new installation to be 100% sure nothings changed in the above. My setup is customised and updated.

1 minute ago, StevieDvd said:

OK good thing is the hard-wired connection wins on start- up, if that's not there then it will attempt to use any new wi-fi settings. But if that does not wok it defaults back to its own hotspot.

So use the hard-wired connection and astroberry.local to connect then:

• Right-click wireless icon on the taskbar
  • Select Edit connections
  • Double-click Wireless connection
  • Enter your network name in SSID field
  • Go to Wi-Fi Security tab
  • Enter your network password in Password field
  • Remove ethernet cable
  • Reboot

That should be it. My AB is configured so I can't repeat a new installation to be 100% sure nothings changed in the above. My setup is customised and updated.

There is another setting you habe not mentioned, which i mentioned above a few mins ago, it makes the RPI use the wifi connection in preference to the hotspot, I am not at home so can’t look for the exact wording of the box that needs checking.... 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

There is another setting you habe not mentioned, which i mentioned above a few mins ago, it makes the RPI use the wifi connection in preference to the hotspot, I am not at home so can’t look for the exact wording of the box that needs checking.... 👍🏼

The connection number I believe. It should be a low number for new connections and a high number as last resort/default.

Hi 

Cheers Peter

12 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Ok thanks I have the AB on at the moment and plugged into a monitor. Would it be easier to attach a mouse and key board and do it that way? Cheers

Yes it that's easier for you.  I have my AB running now. If you can see the desktop try a normal left-click on the wifi bars and see if your home network appears in the list of available wifi connections.

This is it, 

on my Hotspot I uncheck this box, then the hotspot only comes up when no other connection is available, the priority number does not always work as it should, hence this, then on your home wifi connection you have this box checked...

so right click on wifi icon

Edit connections

click hotspot

click edit button at bottom

then general tab

image.jpg

Edited by Stuart1971

Hi Many thanks for your replies.
I notice that the R pi comes with 4 USB ports . I use powered hub with my laptop as I need more ports will the R pi work the hub? I also use a wired games pad to to control the mount for alignment this was set up with eqmod.

I think that SM / astroberry will run eqmod?

So if I buy a R pi 4  I need 4gb RAM a case power supply HDMI lead to load the software 

and can I use my existing usb leads? (shorter ones would be easier) I also have eqdir lead connects the eq6 to the laptop can that be used?

Cheers Peter

I am connected direct to the AB. When I first connected my home Wi-fi was shown in the connection.

I looked again and AB hotspot was shown I then opened hidden wireless connection and loaded my home Wi-fi 

General tab

ticked connect auto with priority 100

ticked all users may connect to network 

NOT ticked auto connect VPN 

metered connection auto 

SSID shows my network 

wi fi sec WPA and WPA2 personal

I lowered the auto priority to 50?

4 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Hi Many thanks for your replies.
I notice that the R pi comes with 4 USB ports . I use powered hub with my laptop as I need more ports will the R pi work the hub? I also use a wired games pad to to control the mount for alignment this was set up with eqmod.

I think that SM / astroberry will run eqmod?

So if I buy a R pi 4  I need 4gb RAM a case power supply HDMI lead to load the software 

and can I use my existing usb leads? (shorter ones would be easier) I also have eqdir lead connects the eq6 to the laptop can that be used?

Cheers Peter

I am connected direct to the AB. When I first connected my home Wi-fi was shown in the connection.

I looked again and AB hotspot was shown I then opened hidden wireless connection and loaded my home Wi-fi 

General tab

ticked connect auto with priority 100

ticked all users may connect to network 

NOT ticked auto connect VPN 

metered connection auto 

SSID shows my network 

wi fi sec WPA and WPA2 personal

I lowered the auto priority to 50?

You need a lower number in the priority it’s should  be on 0 and the hotspot on -10 or similar...

Yes they run EQMOD

and you can use same leads, although RPI4 has USB 3 ports too....

Edited by Stuart1971

OK are you OK now and once rebooted you connect wirelessly to your own network?

On my AB the default internal hotspot is set as priority -999 so last resort setting, so a number higher than that will be checked first for a connection. This is so when you are away from home and want the AB hotspot to default it should automatically as it won't find your home network.

AB does not have the EQMOD software per se - it uses the connection type which describes the use of a serial/usb conversion. This can be in the mount, in the handcontroller or in the cable itself. If you've used an eqdir cable before then use this with the mount set as eqmod and probably the 9600 baud setting.  The other options the EQMOD addon in AB can be seen here https://www.indilib.org/telescopes/skywatcher/eqmod.html

6 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

OK are you OK now and once rebooted you connect wirelessly to your own network?

On my AB the default internal hotspot is set as priority -999 so last resort setting, so a number higher than that will be checked first for a connection. This is so when you are away from home and want the AB hotspot to default it should automatically as it won't find your home network.

AB does not have the EQMOD software per se - it uses the connection type which describes the use of a serial/usb conversion. This can be in the mount, in the handcontroller or in the cable itself. If you've used an eqdir cable before then use this with the mount set as eqmod and probably the 9600 baud setting.  The other options the EQMOD addon in AB can be seen here https://www.indilib.org/telescopes/skywatcher/eqmod.html

I think you are really confusing the OP, he is a complete beginner, and to say it does not have EQMOD software is just wrong, it has a perfect working EQMOD indi driver which is all he needs with his mount and AB, to use in Ekos, no need to mess with baud rates either, I use it all the time and have never touched the baud rate....all he needs it the EQMOD cable for his mount, and connect to port on the RPI, or into his hub....it’s simple and I think you are over complicating it for him to be honest....👍🏼😀

• Sad 1

Hi

I could not connect the AB to my network using the AB !   I have lowered the number in the priory box and removed the connect auto with priority on the hot spot as suggested by Stuart. I noticed the last time the AB lost connection I was going to try and hard wire the AB to the router again. Also the INDI menu has dissapeared I guess due to the loss of wifi? I do use eqmod and I use a eqdir cable on my laptop I am trying at the moment to connect the AB to my wifi

I will try later many thanks Peter

My response on the eqmod should have been clearer as it was mainly attempting to answer the question on the use of existing eqdir cable and the wired gamepad.  You won't see the exact configuration panels that are on the PC eqmod setup but as Staurt1971 has said there is an EQMOD indi driver, with similar settings and a joystick driver independent of that.

On the network side the AB has a default priority of -999, they are checked in descending order so 200 could be the first wifi to check, 100 the next and so on to -999. Typically this would be so your home wifi is checked first (200), but if you are in another house (your weekend getaway) use 100. If all fails revert to default AB hotspot.  I'm not sure how unchecking the auto priority works unless it allows you to drop one or more wifi connections out of the ones to be checked. I normally say try the default options first as that's what the coder expects the avergae user to need.

Using ethernet is quicker and avoids the delay the wifi checks do. But when you have set your own wifi correctly you should reboot.

Radek the AB author often posts on SGL, if he sees this he may correct any factual errors.

Hi 

Cheers Peter

Hi 

I have hard wired the AB. The browser works and shows a wired connection. I checked all of the wireless setting which looked correct. I have lowered the connection number and tried different numbers. When I then click on connect to hidden wireless network it searches and goes back to wired, I tried removing the ethernet first as Steve suggested and the connection is cut and I am unable to reboot

I have also turned my firewall off also not sure if this helps?

44 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Hi 

I have hard wired the AB. The browser works and shows a wired connection. I checked all of the wireless setting which looked correct. I have lowered the connection number and tried different numbers. When I then click on connect to hidden wireless network it searches and goes back to wired, I tried removing the ethernet first as Steve suggested and the connection is cut and I am unable to reboot

I have also turned my firewall off also not sure if this helps?

You seem to be doing far more than is needed for such a simple task, it should take two mins to sort...so you have something set up wrong somewhere, you should not even need to touch most of the settings you have been, it really is as simple as click and go...so I am guessing you have broken a setting somewhere along the line....

If you connect with a network cable as you have done, then it’s just as case of picking your network off the wifi list putting password in, and that’s it, disconnect from network cable reboot and it should connect to your Wi-Fi, that’s how it should work, and does for me...every time, so I think with all the different advice you have been given, something has got corrupted

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

My response on the eqmod should have been clearer as it was mainly attempting to answer the question on the use of existing eqdir cable and the wired gamepad.  You won't see the exact configuration panels that are on the PC eqmod setup but as Staurt1971 has said there is an EQMOD indi driver, with similar settings and a joystick driver independent of that.

On the network side the AB has a default priority of -999, they are checked in descending order so 200 could be the first wifi to check, 100 the next and so on to -999. Typically this would be so your home wifi is checked first (200), but if you are in another house (your weekend getaway) use 100. If all fails revert to default AB hotspot.  I'm not sure how unchecking the auto priority works unless it allows you to drop one or more wifi connections out of the ones to be checked. I normally say try the default options first as that's what the coder expects the avergae user to need.

Using ethernet is quicker and avoids the delay the wifi checks do. But when you have set your own wifi correctly you should reboot.

Radek the AB author often posts on SGL, if he sees this he may correct any factual errors.

Mine set at 0 to guarantee wifi connects to my home router

2021-02-18-190401_1920x1080_scrot.png

24 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

You seem to be doing far more than is needed for such a simple task, it should take two mins to sort...so you have something set up wrong somewhere, you should not even need to touch most of the settings you have been, it really is as simple as click and go...so I am guessing you have broken a setting somewhere along the line....

If you connect with a network cable as you have done, then it’s just as case of picking your network off the wifi list putting password in, and that’s it, disconnect from network cable reboot and it should connect to your Wi-Fi, that’s how it should work, and does for me...every time, so I think with all the different advice you have been given, something has got corrupted

something not right as mine worked straight away on all of my builds with astroberry  don't know why the op refers to When I then click on connect to hidden wireless network it searches and goes back to wired. Surely the wifi should be visible unless he has hidden his SSID  in which case. Make sure it is spelt correctly as Case Sensitive

39 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

something not right as mine worked straight away on all of my builds with astroberry  don't know why the op refers to When I then click on connect to hidden wireless network it searches and goes back to wired. Surely the wifi should be visible unless he has hidden his SSID  in which case. Make sure it is spelt correctly as Case Sensitive

No, and all mine, I have flashed it over 20 times over the last two years, and it’s always been as simple as..... that’s what had confused me, but I think he has had conflicting information, and maybe broken something ..☹️

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

2 different results depending on whether you left or right click on the network icon. He needs to left click to see the wifi connections available. I think he is editing them manually.

I wonder if he has a space or odd character in his SSID or password.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

2 different results depending on whether you left or right click on the network icon. He needs to left click to see the wifi connections available. I think he is editing them manually.

I wonder if he has a space or odd character in his SSID or password.

Don't know but maybe the OP can shed some light on it