Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarmate plus controller

P.Rees

Hi

I have wired the connection. When I left click on the network icon I can see my network I click on it and the network icon changes from wired and spins this happens for a few minutes and it goes back to the wired sign again (failing to connect wirelessly)? In AB preferences network connections, all my details are correct for the wireless connection. If I unplug the wire I lose connection and I can't reboot.

The point about connecting to hidden network was because I was following a youtube video in the video AB is connected wirlessly from the AB hotspot and then the home wifi details are entered in preferences connections etc I was just following the video

Sorry if I have complicated things I try again tomorrow Thanks for all your help cheers Peter 

I apologise for making this into a list and repeating some things which may be obvious but hoped a check-list could help you setup your AB and find the bit which is preventing you progressing.

OK I created a new sd-card with AB on it and did the following:

1. With the AB unpowered plugged in ethernet cable
  2. Powered up AB - made sure network port lights were flashing
  3. On PC opened a cmd shell and  ran ping astroberry.local and saw ip was for my network
  4. Open browser on PC and entered astroberry.local/desktop in url
  5. Clicked on Connect and entered password when prompted
  6. Ethernet was connected OK - so I disconnected the Wi-Fi Networks (on the network dropdown)  which only showed astroberry
  7. Re-connected the Wi-Fi Networks which then displayed other wifi connections
  8. Clicked on my home wifi and entered password in panel (used the show option to make sure it was typed correctly & correct case  mine has no spaces or odd characters in SSID or password).
  9. Dis-connected Ethernet Network (on dropdown)
  10. Shutdown the AB and power removed
  11. Took out ethernet cable
  12. Powered up AB
  13. On PC ran cmd ping astroberry.local and checked ip number was for my network
  14. Open browser on PC and entered astroberry.local/desktop in url and connected

Regards

Steve

Hi Many thanks for your replies.
I notice that the R pi comes with 4 USB ports . I use powered hub with my laptop as I need more ports will the R pi work the hub? I also use a wired games pad to to control the mount for alignment this was set up with eqmod.

I think that SM / astroberry will run eqmod?

So if I buy a R pi 4  I need 4gb RAM a case power supply HDMI lead to load the software 

and can I use my existing usb leads? (shorter ones would be easier) I also have eqdir lead connects the eq6 to the laptop can that be used?

Cheers Peter

Hi Many thanks for your replies.
I notice that the R pi comes with 4 USB ports . I use powered hub with my laptop as I need more ports will the R pi work the hub? I also use a wired games pad to to control the mount for alignment this was set up with eqmod.

I think that SM / astroberry will run eqmod?

So if I buy a R pi 4  I need 4gb RAM a case power supply HDMI lead to load the software 

and can I use my existing usb leads? (shorter ones would be easier) I also have eqdir lead connects the eq6 to the laptop can that be used?

Cheers Peter

24 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

I apologise for making this into a list and repeating some things which may be obvious but hoped a check-list could help you setup your AB and find the bit which is preventing you progressing.

OK I created a new sd-card with AB on it and did the following:

1. With the AB unpowered plugged in ethernet cable
  2. Powered up AB - made sure network port lights were flashing
  3. On PC opened a cmd shell and  ran ping astroberry.local and saw ip was for my network
  4. Open browser on PC and entered astroberry.local/desktop in url
  5. Clicked on Connect and entered password when prompted
  6. Ethernet was connected OK - so I disconnected the Wi-Fi Networks (on the network dropdown)  which only showed astroberry
  7. Re-connected the Wi-Fi Networks which then displayed other wifi connections
  8. Clicked on my home wifi and entered password in panel (used the show option to make sure it was typed correctly & correct case  mine has no spaces or odd characters in SSID or password).
  9. Dis-connected Ethernet Network (on dropdown)
  10. Shutdown the AB and power removed
  11. Took out ethernet cable
  12. Powered up AB
  13. On PC ran cmd ping astroberry.local and checked ip number was for my network
  14. Open browser on PC and entered astroberry.local/desktop in url and connected

Regards

Steve

Super, that’s exactly as it should work...no messing...exactly as I do, but without the pinging....never needed to do that....👍🏼😀

Edited by Stuart1971

Hi Steve

I did it a little bit different as I was following astronomy guide on you tube. I loaded AB on the sd card and inserted into Ras pi powered up connected hdmi into my monitor I did not hard wire at this point.

On my PC I found the astroberry hot spot connected on it. At this point I was told to type astroberry/local into the browser this failed so I hard wired the AB this worked.

I opened preferences advanced network connections this showed the connection ethernet and clicked on wireless and put my home wifi details SSID wifi security typed in my home password and saved.

From the right hand corner showing connections clicked on this and choose connect to hidden wifi connection which had my home wi fi on that I had just saved.

At this point the AB is rebooted and is connected to the home wifi and the AB hotstop disappears.

I am not sure if this happened for me I assume it did, I didn't remove the ethernet and I started on INDI settings. Next day and since I have been unable to connect only when I use the ethernet. I can see my home wifi in the top right corner when I click on it the icon changes and spins and then goes back to wired.

Do I need to go back to AB hotspot and start again or can I just clear all of the info  in network connection? and create wifi network?

I have been trying to follow your list as I didn't want to bother you thanks Peter

3 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Hi Steve

I did it a little bit different as I was following astronomy guide on you tube. I loaded AB on the sd card and inserted into Ras pi powered up connected hdmi into my monitor I did not hard wire at this point.

On my PC I found the astroberry hot spot connected on it. At this point I was told to type astroberry/local into the browser this failed so I hard wired the AB this worked.

I opened preferences advanced network connections this showed the connection ethernet and clicked on wireless and put my home wifi details SSID wifi security typed in my home password and saved.

From the right hand corner showing connections clicked on this and choose connect to hidden wifi connection which had my home wi fi on that I had just saved.

At this point the AB is rebooted and is connected to the home wifi and the AB hotstop disappears.

I am not sure if this happened for me I assume it did, I didn't remove the ethernet and I started on INDI settings. Next day and since I have been unable to connect only when I use the ethernet. I can see my home wifi in the top right corner when I click on it the icon changes and spins and then goes back to wired.

Do I need to go back to AB hotspot and start again or can I just clear all of the info  in network connection? and create wifi network?

I have been trying to follow your list as I didn't want to bother you thanks Peter

First of all it’s Astroberry.local and NOT Astroberry/local

secondly you should not need to put your SSID in, you just pick your home network from the list of available ones, same as you would on a windows  PC....

What we are trying to do is to get you to the point where you selectyour wifi connection rather than editing it in.

Like here

wireless.png.3bfa8e97b1c8e8faaf1917e73dc40d0b.png

If you startup on a network cable it's a little easier as you don't need to worry about hotspots.  And you can see what wireless points are available anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

So should I try create new new wi fi network?

NO, just click on the wifi icon in the corner of your RPI screen and see your available wifi networks, and choose the one you want to use....same as you would on a windows PC, then put password in and that’s it...reboot the RPI with network cable disconnected....

Why would you need to create a new wifi network, you have a router in your house with WiFI so just choose your own network...I really don’t know how much easier I can explain this....I’m struggling....😅👍🏼

Hi All

I have just managed to connect to the home wifi. Thanks to everybody who helped especially Steve and Stuart. I deleted the network settings. Then when I clicked on my home wifi I entered my password as requested and connected.

Many thanks👋 Peter

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Hi All

I have just managed to connect to the home wifi. Thanks to everybody who helped especially Steve and Stuart. I deleted the network settings. Then when I clicked on my home wifi I entered my password as requested and connected.

Many thanks👋 Peter

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Like 1

Hi All

I tested the astroberry yesterday. I loaded INDI settings for my set up Atik 314L CCD Atik filter wheel  EQMOD Hitech astro focus. Plugged my existing leads into my devices then into my powered hub  and from the hub into the AB a blue coloured USB socket. I powered up all my devices and the hub.

I also tried to install PHD2 for my auto guider QHY5 I use PHD on my laptop with this camera. The only connection I succecced in making was the Eqmod and I was able to move the mount NEQ6. I have made a note of the USB socket on the hub that works. I will try again tommorow. The wifi was showing 55-60% Will I need a wifi extenter if so is there one anyone could recommend?

Many thanks Peter

Hi 

I have tried again using different usb sockets no joy connecting any of my cameras looked online and some people have had problems with powered hub I assume if it works ok with my laptop the hub should be ok?
Dont know if I need a Wi-fi booster I am off next week would like to get this sorted before I return to work. Many thanks for all your help cheers Peter

Just now, P.Rees said:

Hi 

I have tried again using different usb sockets no joy connecting any of my cameras looked online and some people have had problems with powered hub I assume if it works ok with my laptop the hub should be ok?
Dont know if I need a Wi-fi booster I am off next week would like to get this sorted before I return to work. Many thanks for all your help cheers Peter

Some powered hubs have been problematic, but most are ok, also you should try setting the wifi on 5ghz and channel 44 this work when having interference issues....as the USB 3 ports can have issues with the 2.4ghz wifi signal...

3 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

Thanks Stuart are those setting in astroberry or in my home Wi-fi settings?

cheers

You change them in the Astroberry Wifi settings, select your connection and then open the settings for it and you will see under one of the tabs the option of 2.4ghz 5ghz or Auto...I assume your home router has a 5ghz connection, most have these days...so you just connect to that...my router has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, with slightly different SSID, so I can pick which one to connect too....

2 minutes ago, P.Rees said:

No I didn’t do that. So I need to bring the AB inside connect with an ethernet cable.

Shutdown then connect all my devices outside  power up login into AB and it should work?

I will try that tomorrow thanks Peter 

No, not at all, I don’t think you are getting it...so please don’t change anything, stick with what you have already, and ignore what I suggested above...it will mess up your system that you took so long to get working....I should not have said anything...👍🏼