NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

StellaLyra super view 30mm 2"EP...Head Scratch!

Hi All,

Hope you are all well. right then,i received said eyepiece promptly from FLO(great service thanks) yesterday afternoon,so this morning at 5am ,(giddy as a school boy) i set my skywatcher 200p dob up..popped in the EP and could`nt achieve focus...hmmm i thought..so after quick research it turns out i may need an extension tube???..did`nt know this...flo have plenty to choose from but i do need help in acquiring the correct one. Do they all do the same thing for all types of scope or is there a specific one/two for my size dob??..i dont want to break the bank but i would like a reputable one.Also do i need to use this extension tube with every 2inch EP that i get in the future?(if i get more...expensive hobby collecting EP`s!)...if anyone can advise me i would be most appreciative..budget for this extension tube between £30-60. any links to FLO`s extension tubes would be happily received thanks again everyone.

Mark

19 minutes ago, wheresthetorch? said:

I have a 2" eyepiece that can't reach focus in my Revelation dob.  Instead of using a focus extender, I just don't put the eyepiece in all the way - just out by about 5mm and it reaches focus.  Might be worth a try.  

That’s what I do with a 30mm ES ep I have. Worth a try, no point in forking out if you don’t need to 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember having issues with a 2" eyepiece with my old OO 10" Newt.

I had to fully rack out the focuser, then unseat the eyepiece by about half an inch to get it to focus.

The weight of the eyepiece produced noticeable sag and was unsafe to say the least.

The only way round that one was a focuser upgrade.

This was no ordinary eyepiece though and weighed over a kilo.

But most are a lot lighter so and therefore not as taxing on your focuser.

But just something to be aware of.

VX10L

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Thanks 1

The 200P comes with a stock 35mm 2" extension tube. If you can't locate yours and it's just the 30mm ep that is having focus issue, I'd say use the partial insertion method to save some money.

• Thanks 1

thank you all for the replies,i did some more digging on the net and found a blog by a guy named neil english,its a full 200p dob review of what it can n can`t achieve,pros &cons etc..theres a section i came across where he heas the same problem as me and he fitted a 35mm orion extension tube, now i can`t locate his exact extension tube and the same goes for a 35mm one but if i do go down this route =what mm size should i get ?...30mm...40mm? is that too much or not enough?