Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

152mm f/5.9 Binoscope

Chriske

I will use a boxmount(also own design) It's a bit like a barndoor mount, only much bigger and very solid. I'll add a stepper to do the tracking. The stepper's electronic is designed by my friend Henri. The mount is capable of tracking for 2 hours before I have to reset it again, but it'll do for simple stargazing.
I know it's not a perfect solution, but now I have a  Dob mount on top of a equatorial mount. Very easy to build and most of al very fast setup for a quick observing session. During work in our garden I installed two piers for that bino to mount on. One pier, the concrete one, is still drying and the second pier is an old tree cut of to the correct height.  Each pier will contain three M16 SS threaded rods.

Nearly done. Only optics to add, but I will not have enough time to mount and tune before next weekend(our annual open door)... pity...

image.png.b040223c26ccf8957af1cedca30181f8.png

IPD unit works perfect. Did not use linear bearings to move the two IPD parts. This time I've counted on the smooth action between PLA and polished brass rods.

image.png.c75e2afc4a5d84726ebbaca1a04bd0b0.png

image.png.ba1df8275df9a4076cab361ec2d6c796.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words...😃

Nobody would ever expected to be able to make such a bino at home, for that kind of money.
It all has to do with these 3D printers. I said it before there almost no limit with what you can do with these things.
Best invention ever imo these 3D printers...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chriske said:

Thanks for the kind words...😃

Nobody would ever expected to be able to make such a bino at home, for that kind of money.
It all has to do with these 3D printers. I said it before there almost no limit with what you can do with these things.
Best invention ever imo these 3D printers...

Owning or having access to a printer is not remotely the same thing as having the skills and capacity to stretch its limits to such astonishing levels. Very few would have the imagination and such a unique understanding of the 3D geometry and vital requirements for designing and completing such a project. This is no small feat. Even after a lifetime of seeing what individuals can accomplish I am deeply impressed. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rusted said:

Owning or having access to a printer is not remotely the same thing as having the skills and capacity to stretch its limits to such astonishing levels. Very few would have the imagination and such a unique understanding of the 3D geometry and vital requirements for designing and completing such a project. This is no small feat. Even after a lifetime of seeing what individuals can accomplish I am deeply impressed. :thumbsup:

Thank you for these kind words...

• Thanks 1

There is a handle present somewhat hidden in the bearing unit. To reinforce that handle I inserted two threaded rods.

It's not the first bino I ever made, it's my fifth. But this actually the first one I used lenses instead of mirrors. There's no reason why it will not work.
And btw, a set of 20" mirrors for my next bino is almost finished, only final polishing and figuring to do..😉

This 152mm bino  is not yet finished. As I said before there was not enough time. As an active member in our observatory I had too many other project running for our open door. This weekend is our open door and I want to take it along with me, even without optics, pity...😟
Next week I'll add all optics.
I'll report back when 'first light' has been done.

• Like 3

Very nice looking job!.  I'm also an enthusiastic large binoscope builder and have made many 6" refracting and reflecting models.  The views are fantastic, the downside is that the weight starts to become a problem, definitely not "grab and go".    🙂

• Like 1