Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser light pen.

If you're imaging with your AZ-GTi + the EQ wedge, you will need to look into plate solving polar alignment or drift align. Visual alignment with a polar scope on a budget mount will not be accurate enough for imaging.

If you do persist with the laser route (I'm assuming you're looking at a green one), I hope you already know that the UK limit is 1mW, and that there is now a strict liability in law regarding endangerment of vehicles (i.e. they don't need to prove malicious intent). And be wary of 532nm versions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KP82 said:

If you're imaging with your AZ-GTi + the EQ wedge, you will need to look into plate solving polar alignment or drift align. Visual alignment with a polar scope on a budget mount will not be accurate enough for imaging.

Thanks for your reply, as I'm new to this can you point me to a good explanation of drift alignment ... 

Well, if you've got a counterweight rod like the following image:

AZGTiEQ.jpg

You could get a green laser sight and use the rifle barrel clamp to attach it to the rod.  You may need to wrap something incompressible around the rod to build it up the correct diameter for the clamp (1 inch).  That's how I attached one to the handle of my DSV-1 alt-az mount.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Well, if you've got a counterweight rod like the following image:

AZGTiEQ.jpg

You could get a green laser sight and use the rifle barrel clamp to attach it to the rod.  You may need to wrap something incompressible around the rod to build it up the correct diameter for the clamp (1 inch).  That's how I attached one to the handle of my DSV-1 alt-az mount.

I have several laser gun sights, all at reasonable prices and all with micro adjustments with the ability to mount on most things not just my pistols and rifles..

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

Thank you I will take a look at those links, but my first question is Do I need a dedicated polar scope and/or a dedicated eyepiece camera.

7 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

Thank you I will take a look at those links, but my first question is Do I need a dedicated polar scope and/or a dedicated eyepiece camera.

There is no need of a dedicated polar scope.

For imaging you will eventually want autoguiding and the guidescope along with the guide camera can be used for these polar alignment methods. However if you haven't got a guiding setup yet, you could use your primary camera with the main scope for PA. BTW if you image with a DSLR, it is not supported for drift align in PHD2.

Edited by KP82

Sorry should have said from the beginning, I'm using a Dslr camera and lens and do not have a scope at all.

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

There is no need of a dedicated polar scope.

For imaging you will eventually want autoguiding and the guidescope along with the guide camera can be used for these polar alignment methods. However if you haven't got a guiding setup yet, you could use your primary camera with the main scope for PA. BTW if you image with a DSLR, it is not supported for drift align in PHD2.

44 minutes ago, shropshire lad said:

Sorry should have said from the beginning, I'm using a Dslr camera and lens and do not have a scope at all.

You can use plate solving PA with your DSLR and lens