NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

This may be a stupid question...

I'm assuming telescopes ideally need to be stored inside? I'm assuming that there's no such thing as a decent weather-proof cover that would protect the telescope meaning that it could be stored outside, even if not all year around?

Thanks,

Matt

Mold and mildew are big issues as well for optical surfaces stored outside in humid environments without adequate ventilation.  If you live in a desert climate, this is simply not an issue, though.  First surface reflective mirror coatings are also prone to corrosion in humid environments.  Even professional observatories have to have their big mirrors realuminized every so often.  My 20+ year old mirrors in my Dob look and perform fine after having been stored in a climate controlled house between uses, though.

38 minutes ago, MattG said:

I assume the heating is to stop condensation and then rust? Do you have a picture of what you mean by "a roll of roof shed and a dome"?

Dome is a complete housing where a shutter reveals the sky, the dome rotates.

Roll of roof is a shed where the roof rolls back giving an almost complete view of the sky.

IMG_20200920_190701.jpg

IMG_20200823_130250.jpg

IMG_20200911_145502.jpg

IMG_20200728_155919.jpg

• Like 2

Telegizmos 365 covers are meant to be used 24/7 365. TeleGizmos
They are available in a lot of sizes and even custom made.
To keep the temperature just above dewpoint, you can use snowboot heaters or a small terrarium heater.
Some people use lightbulbs, but that is tricky...Too hot and chance of breaking glass with fire as the outcome.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MattG said:

I'm assuming telescopes ideally need to be stored inside? I'm assuming that there's no such thing as a decent weather-proof cover that would protect the telescope meaning that it could be stored outside, even if not all year around?

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt, dew point in this country is about 10'c, so if you keep your telescope in an area above 10'c and then take it to an area at lower than 10'c, dew will form; likewise the reverse if it's kept below 10'c and you then take it to an area above, dew will form. The answer is to keep it in an area that is roughly ambient temperature, but also covered. So if you have an unheated outside store/shed/summer house etc, thats the place to keep it, but I also keep mine covered. The reason to keep it covered in the shed is that the air in the shed also has moisture and so by keeping it covered in the shed you further reduce moister landing on the telescope. If you do need to keep it inside, dew will form quickly until the temperatures settle, so probably best to keep the telescope facing down to limit dew. I have no idea how effective dew heaters are at current temperatures, hopefully someone will suggest something.

Enjoy

• Like 1

The dew point is not a set temperature... it is depending on a couple of factors: ambient temperature, relative humidity, transparency of the air which influences the radiation of the drop of ambient temperature. Dew point - Wikipedia .Another factor is ventilation. If you are going to use a Telegismos 365, never close it up. Leave the bottom at least a bit open so there can be ventilation, even when you use the mentioned heaters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MattG said:

Thanks,

Matt

I had to look up Hitchin. (Hitchin is a market town in the North Hertfordshire district in Hertfordshire, England, with an estimated population of 33,350. - That told me nothing until I looked at a map.) Anyway., while it is true that we shelter our instruments, it is also true that we put them on isolated mountaintops. Unlike microscopes, they are meant to be used outdoors. I happen to live in central Texas, which is pretty mild and if I leave my instrument out for several hours between observations, I will throw a plastic tarp or a quilted mover's blanket over it. It is not so much overnight -- though there is that -- but here, it is sunlight during the day. So, I also use a reflective mylar sheet - the "survival blanket" you can get in a sporting goods store - if it is going to be out during the day. I bring the smaller telescopes in. But I have one that is a bear to move around, 30 kilos. See photo.)

Classic 10-inch SCT under wraps.jpg

Edited by mikemarotta