Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New observatory plans

MartinB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be careful with a metal pier going all the way from the ground floor foundations to the first floor observatory as it might have a tendency to "ring"... could possibly consider a hybrid design with a brick or re - inforced concrete column taking you up to the first floor with a normal pier mounted on that?

Then again I do tend to over engineer these things....

Billy...

Thanks for the links Jeff, the Astrodome sounds interesting, quite a lot cheaper than Pulsar, the only problem being the 10' will be too big. The 9' Pulsar would be ideal.

Dark Knight - thanks for the planning permission link, I will certainly double check I am ok. One good thing is the the neighbours are fully supportive.

Dave et al - very grateful for the networking advice. I will have to think about a wired solution. Would involve digging up the drive, ongoing time and expense. The drive has been dug up before to power up the garage so could dig up the same bit and re tarmac. A wireless connection will probably be ok for what I would want to do.

Viking - if I get chance I will post some pics of the site at present to give a clearer idea of things.

Biliy and Helen - I am very keen to get everything just right and have been thinking a lot about the pier. My thinking has been to build a brick column and fill it with concrete. This will be a 6'+ column so am going to need to think hard about foundations. I will have to cut into the concrete base of the existing shed and put in a load more concrete and will want this isolating from the rest of the floor. To reduce the weight I have been thinking about not extending the concrete above the observatory but possibly going something like this http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/astroengineering/telescopemountings/stdpiereq6.html

I've had some much help with this thread, I really appreciate everyones input :hello1:

I've had some much help with this thread, I really appreciate everyones input :hello1:

If you you have room for a couple of caravans on your drive, and a few tents on your lawn, I'm sure we could get an SGL 'working party' together, and come up and help you build it. :(

Dave

That dome looks a bit flash for Chesterfield Helen!

A la Patrick. I could even put on a banquet :( You might have a point Rog!

Here are some piccies

12046_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

12047_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

12048_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Strictly no permission for an observatory here. You can see the browning of the lawn where I have been tramping on it and night. And thats after 1 night in nearly 2 months. My astroshed is virtually hidden from view in the far right hand corner behind a shrub. Totally unsuitable spot for a roll off shed

12049_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thought about putting a shed here but the views are very restricted

12050_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

This is the view SSE. The roof doesn't rise to a very high angle above the scope. further over to the SE and E the view is pretty well unobstructed so might be able to manage The Lagoon Neb

Just to prove a point that you dont need 1/2 to 1 ton of concrete and 10 inch diameter pipe for a pier.

5cwt of concrete and 4 1/2 inch heavy wall aluminium pipe is what i used and it wont budge,pipe is

now filled with cement to stop ringing.I've kicked the living daylights out of it and it doesn't move at all .

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,30507.0.html

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The pier will be mounted into a concrete column coming up from the floor of the shed below.

One way to achive this would be to get hold of some concrete sewer pipe say 2' diamater and stack them to the required hight - filled with concrete mix as you go. For high pillers its best to go for larger base diameters.

Archived