NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stupid filter question

Pryce

So this is probably a very stupid question. But I have a few filters and I obviously want more. But what I'm wondering about is stacking filters?

I need to use a Baader IR cut filter as my DSLR is full spectrum.

Can I add a CLS CCD and a UHC filter in the image train as well?  Or would the use of one cancell out the other? 

I can find a lot about how filters operate individually but nothing about how they would fair together.

1 minute ago, Pryce said:

Asteonomik Ha CCD

Only lets Ha through, therefore dont need IR cut

G_HA_12nm_u_6nm.png

2 minutes ago, Pryce said:

UHC

Here is the graph, and based on that you would need an IR cut filter, however I have never used one so dont know how the two filters would react/reflect together.  I think it's more of a visual rather than a photographic filter.

astronomik_uhc_trans.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

The CLS version doesnt so you would need the separate UV-IR cut filter - so you wouldnt buy this version

Oops 😅  Well, I have both and since I have both modified and unmodifiet DSLRs it's fine.

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I think it's more of a visual rather than a photographic filter.

Hmm, then it's a bit weird that they have so many clip in versions of it for a bunch of different cameras.

Just now, Pryce said:

Oops 😅  Well, I have both and since I have both modified and unmodifiet DSLRs it's fine.

You still wouldnt buy the non-CCD version.

1 minute ago, Pryce said:

Hmm, then it's a bit weird that they have so many clip in versions of it for a bunch of different cameras.

You quoted Astronomik UHC - this is what they say about the product

image.thumb.png.842218da8d4991dd0b073ce00fbb44ef.png

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You still wouldnt buy the non-CCD version.

If it's not for unmodified cameras then what is it even for?

But my point still stands about the UHC, if its meant for visual, why are there so many clip-ins for it. 

Im guessing they wouldnt produce clip ina for so many different cameras and on top of that sell so many of them if it werent a great photographic filter

5 minutes ago, Pryce said:

But my point still stands about the UHC, if its meant for visual, why are there so many clip-ins for it. 

Im guessing they wouldnt produce clip ina for so many different cameras and on top of that sell so many of them if it werent a great photographic filter

As you say in your first post there is a lot of information about individual filters out there.  I've answered your original questions, and let you do your own research now about individual filters.

25 minutes ago, Pryce said:

The only reason a company exists is to make money. The more variety they make, the more they will sell. 

It's like cars, they will all get you from point A to point B so why does 1 company make so many different kinds, to make more money.

To use your analogy a step further.

Said car manufacturer wouldnt make a one wheel drive car (a useless product just to make money) when they have the 2WD or 4WD versions available for roughly same price. 

Companies sell things to make money, yes. But tricking customers gives said company a bad rep and people will stop buying from them. Earning them less money over time.

My point is; if the CLS filter isnt meant for unmodded cameras, why do they sell so many of them when the supposedly much better CLS-CCD is just a few dollars more? And what is the porpose of the CLS clip ins if they arent meant for unmodded cameras? 

Same thing goes for the UHC, why make it and sell it as a clip in if it's not a good photographic filter?

(Edit: Disregardin g visual use here because we're talking about clip ins)

Edited by Pryce