Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon & Mars: Adapting to the seeing conditions

John

Looks like I'm about to be fogged out :rolleyes2:

I've just been observing a fascinating crater on the opposite side of the Mare Humorum from Gassendi, called Vitello. This crater is 21km in diameter and has a small central peak complex which is almost completely encircled by a rille. The rille is showing as a bright ring around the central peak area this evening - quite striking.

xo28gxg9tif41.jpg.6a1f96ac1aa08942abc23d3bf1e200d9.jpg

The seeing has been really first class tonight. It's a bit crazy when 300x seems to be just cruising with a 130mm aperture scope, but that's how it's been. Not that I'm complaining :grin:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s what I’m finding confusing. The Jetstream wasn’t overhead last night here either but seeing was quite poor.

Unfortunately, the jetstream is only one of the very many factors impacting on seeing quality... and not only it, but those other factors too, need to be favourable for good seeing.

I'm finding that when the jetstream forecast is bad seeing is bad... and when seeing is good the jetstream is good. 
But I have no real idea what the other atmospheric things are doing - so jetstream being good can not be relied on (on its own) to predict good seeing.

I look at the jetstream forecast because it's there and accessible and seems to provide some useful info.
Data on, or better yet forecasts for, other atmospheric disturbances are fewer and father between. 
So I always set up if there are gaps in the clouds and make the best of it.

shrug.gif.e5d00fc274d7dc84c8ce916cec56c5d4.gif

Edited by globular
typo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, globular said:

Unfortunately, the jetstream is only one of the very many factors impacting on seeing quality... and not only it, but those other factors too, need to be favourable for good seeing.

I'm finding that when the jetstream forecast is bad seeing is bad... and when seeing is good the jetstream is good. 
But I have no real idea what the other atmospheric things are doing - so jetstream being good can not be relied on (on its own) to predict good seeing.

I look at the jetstream forecast because it's there and accessible and seems to provide some useful info.
Data on, or better yet forecasts for, other atmospheric disturbances are fewer and father between. 
So I always set up if there are gaps in the clouds and make the best of it.

shrug.gif.e5d00fc274d7dc84c8ce916cec56c5d4.gif

True enough. Thinking about it, the seeing was poor, but I could tell it wasn’t Jetstream related which is when targets can look like you are viewing them under a steam of water. This was wobbly but poor contrast on Mars and lack of sharpness on the Moon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

True enough. Thinking about it, the seeing was poor, but I could tell it wasn’t Jetstream related which is when targets can look like you are viewing them under a steam of water. This was wobbly but poor contrast on Mars and lack of sharpness on the Moon.

I too have been suffering from thermal wobbling, simmering, boiling and drifting in and out of focus.
The moon yesterday evening had what looked like a fierce torrent of running water crossing it.
Mars was even worse despite bing higher. It was hopeless trying to image in that.
The diagram shows the brightly coloured bits [technical term] passing over Denmark.
So we copped the leftovers of whatever Gravely didn't need. :p

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 21:06, Dark Vader said:

I Switched to the moon, nice sharp views along the terminator. Then a change to the 15mm Starguider giving 80x. The clarity was astonishingly good and this EP is fast becoming a favourite. Anyone looking to upgrade from stock EP's - these BST's are great for the money.

Andy

Couldn’t agree more. The 15mm BST and the 200P work brilliantly together, certainly my favourite pairing. They all are really exceptional EPs for the cost. My least used was the 18mm but I’ve found this is my preferred EP for the Orion Nebula, looks amazing with a UHC filter. 

Edited by IB20
  • Like 2