NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Berlebach Hydra II observing chair

Second Time Around

Thanks to StevieDvd directing me to Berlebach for a tripod I came across this ash observing chair: https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=343&sprache=english .

I've got 2 main requirements.  Firstly, it must go very low; the Hydra II goes right down to 25cm/10ins, even lower than the 30cms/12ins of my Skywatcher.  It doesn't mention it on their website, but in its downloadable catalogue Berlebach states that the height is variable in 5mm increments on a lockable toothed belt.  That sounds very stable.  Secondly, because my hands/fingers don't work properly it must be easy to adjust.

It's the ease of adjustment that I'm asking about.  How easy is it in practice?  Does one need to stand up to adjust the height?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Thanks to StevieDvd directing me to Berlebach for a tripod I came across this ash observing chair: https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=343&sprache=english .

I've got 2 main requirements.  Firstly, it must go very low; the Hydra II goes right down to 25cm/10ins, even lower than the 30cms/12ins of my Skywatcher.  It doesn't mention it on their website, but in its downloadable catalogue Berlebach states that the height is variable in 5mm increments on a lockable toothed belt.  That sounds very stable.  Secondly, because my hands/fingers don't work properly it must be easy to adjust.

It's the ease of adjustment that I'm asking about.  How easy is it in practice?  Does one need to stand up to adjust the height?

Many thanks.

@jock1958 has posted about this chair on the “show us your Berlebach product” thread 

• Thanks 1

A few pics with seat fully down (just under 10”) nearly full up and removed. 
The way I adjust and remove the seat is to squeeze the spring loaded locking mechanisms together with thumbs and forefingers at the same time.
Apologies for my video my usual cameraman (wife) said Strictly is much more important 😩

Hope that helps. 

48A907C7-05DF-4213-A8EF-1226F7D6EE14.jpeg

FF64DB39-675D-4C12-8F49-267BBD38CCA3.jpeg

5C032DE8-7910-469B-92DD-2D75CECF3CBB.jpeg

EAEDA306-E782-4153-8C8D-CE123383A7FE.jpeg

Edited by jock1958
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

A few pics with seat fully down (just under 10”) nearly full up and removed. 
The way I adjust and remove the seat is to squeeze the spring loaded lock mechanism together with thumbs and forefingers with both hands
Apologies for my video my usual cameraman (wife) said Strictly is much more important 😩

Hope that helps. 

48A907C7-05DF-4213-A8EF-1226F7D6EE14.jpeg

FF64DB39-675D-4C12-8F49-267BBD38CCA3.jpeg

5C032DE8-7910-469B-92DD-2D75CECF3CBB.jpeg

EAEDA306-E782-4153-8C8D-CE123383A7FE.jpeg

I may not survive assassination but frankly... Strictly and any program with baking or buying holiday homes in another country, dancing on ice, anything with a phone in vote is destroying the planet!
Forget climate change, flooding, loss of climate, Astroid strike (please) the greatest challenge is mindless television. The word of warning that always rings alarms ‘celebrity’. 
How do we live in a world when a spouse will not video the use of a Berlebach observing chair! The conflicts that have been fought through human history and society has reached this new low point because of ballroom dancing.

I will not be silenced and I will not give in to main stream tv, although I do like Big Bang😁
Marv

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Many thanks indeed, Jock.

The video in particular was extremely helpful.

Do you need to adjust both sides at the same time?  I'm a little concerned though about having the strength in my fingers and hands, neither of which work properly.  

My cameraman and I have got Strictly recording whilst she's been packing up a Barlow I've just sold!  We're both Strictly fans.

Many thanks again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Do you need to adjust both sides at the same time?  I'm a little concerned though about having the strength in my fingers and hands, neither of which work properly.  

My cameraman and I have got Strictly recording whilst she's been packing up a Barlow I've just sold!  We're both Strictly fans.

Many thanks again.

It doesn’t require that much pressure to squeeze the locks together however you have to adjust both sides at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Many thanks again.

If don’t think you could manage the Hyrda what about the Berlebach Charon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Jeremy.

It's a shame that Berlebach don't do a shorter version like the Hydra version of the Nix.  Having taken measurements, my perfect maximum seat height for my 10 inch Dob on my equatorial platform would be 63cms,  i.e. 4 rungs less.  This would reduce the weight considerably. 

In their catalogue Berlebach say they do special orders on request for tripods - perhaps they will for chairs as well?  I'll ask and report back.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to do that, Jock.  That looks like a very solid design!

I've been acting out changing the seat height on different types of chair, watched by my wife.  She's of the opinion that I should keep my existing Skywatcher chair for the time being.  I've badly stretched the safety spring, but it still works and I can adjust it easily without standing up or twisting round.

The chairs really need a hands-on look.  Once Covid is over I'll have a look at other types at one of the shows, possibly on the continent.  Thanks to you guys I've got a short list of ones to look at.  So cheers.👍

• Like 2

Just spotted this thread and thought I'd jump in...

I've recently bought the Berlebach Nix II observing chair and I have to say it's one of the singular most useful and practical things I've bought for astronomy. Having the ability to quickly change observing height has meant that I can be much more comfortable at the eyepiece.

Previously I was using a (fixed height) guitar stool, which worked well enough, but meant that often times I would be crouched over or stretched up to maintain a comfortable view. Sometimes if the object was very low, I would often just stand and use the chair to lean on just to keep my eye steady. Now, I just turn around, push the two little levers (as shown in the excellent video above) and move the seat up or down to where is best to observe. The levers are easily moveable, the seat slides easily and then just release them to lock in place (sometimes will click as you push the seat or sit on it, but it's solid and safe).

Now that I have the 10" dob, I'm able to keep my back straight most of the time and this contributes to comfort and thus a more relaxed view. I'm likely helping my back long term too... a consideration now I'm into my 50s 😬

I haven't got the foot rest for it, as I've only occasionally taken it high enough where it might be useful and I'm tall enough anyway.

The only issue I have found with the Nix and maybe the same for the others... if I get off the chair and move around to my eyepiece case, I need to be careful not to trip over the rear of the chair, as it does spread out rearwards, which of course normal chairs don't. I've now moved my eyepiece case closer and arguably I could trip over anything in the dark (being naturally clumsy 🤣)

The Charon looks equally as good and of course with Berlebach, they are very well made and pass the "partner test"... i.e. they don't have to be hidden away after use 🤣

Any of these are well recommended...

Cheers

Gary

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

On 22/11/2020 at 16:25, Second Time Around said:

You do need to get off the seat, stand and turn round to make any adjustment. I would say the levers are relatively easy to operate and slide the seat up/down, but I'm not sure how difficult you would find that. You do also need to move the lever on both sides at the same time to operate.

Perhaps the Charon would indeed be easier in your case 🤔

Good luck 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/11/2020 at 21:03, Johan03 said:

Nice video, thanks! I am interested in this chair and just wonder if the seat position is horizontal or tilted a bit down?

The seat on mine is perfectly horizontal and I'm sure it would be the same on the Hydra at least... Berlebach have superb engineering 😃

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 21:03, Johan03 said:

Nice video, thanks! I am interested in this chair and just wonder if the seat position is horizontal or tilted a bit down?

Yeh the seat is easy to adjust and sits perfectly in the horizontal position.

Must admit looking at my video it does look as though it’s slightly tilted, it must be the angle I took the video at 🤨