Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powering my eq3-2 mount outside

Hi

I would like to finally take my eq3-2 mount  and tripod outside to view the night sky with either my skywatcher explorer 150p or skymax 127, I have a ra motor to keep tracking on the mount. As the area I'll be setting up in is a communal area behind my flat, what are my powering options, I know I can use batteries in the ra motor but I'd like to use a better form of power as batteries slow down over time and I'd be forever changing or recharging them. I'm about 10-15metres from my second floor flat where the telescope would be. So my options I think are a long extension lead with rcd breaker on it and in weatherproof box or a portable 12v jump start battery effort. What are people's thoughts on this issue. 

Clear skies 

I have a Skywatcher dual axis drive system (non-GOTO) fitted to my Vixen GP mount (which is very similar to the EQ5) and that seems to run for ages from the stock battery pack which comprises of 4 x "D" cell alkaline batteries.

For me it's a bonus not to have to have an electric supply out to the mount or use a portable power pack.

If you don't feel happy with the stock battery pack then maybe a portable power pack would be a possibility ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

• Like 1

I'd test it with the supplied battery pack and see how it does. RA only should run for a good while off the 6v pack. Worse case, make up a rechargable one using 5x batteries in a 6x holder and bridge the 6th bay with a wire or dummy battery, NiMh rechargables should run a decent time and be low cost if you charge them up ready for use. No real need to try running mains out esp from a second floor flat - would that be dropped out the window?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, John said:

I have a Skywatcher dual axis drive system (non-GOTO) fitted to my Vixen GP mount (which is very similar to the EQ5) and that seems to run for ages from the stock battery pack which comprises of 4 x "D" cell alkaline batteries.

For me it's a bonus not to have to have an electric supply out to the mount or use a portable power pack.

If you don't feel happy with the stock battery pack then maybe a portable power pack would be a possibility ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

28 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I'd test it with the supplied battery pack and see how it does. RA only should run for a good while off the 6v pack. Worse case, make up a rechargable one using 5x batteries in a 6x holder and bridge the 6th bay with a wire or dummy battery, NiMh rechargables should run a decent time and be low cost if you charge them up ready for use. No real need to try running mains out esp from a second floor flat - would that be dropped out the window?

Thank you for your replies, I think I will try the battery pack first to see how it goes by using 4x NiMh rechargeable batteries with a charger, there are pretty reasonable ones on the Internet, I like the look of the skywatcher power tank and will research that shortly. The idea of just using a battery pack would cut out one trip up and down 2 flights of stairs as its a second floor flat and of I was running a cable I would be from my bedroom window by tying the plug on a string and hoisting it up into my window. The advice is very much appreciated as I wanted to know how other users get over this situation and how the battery pack fairs on the eq3-2 ra motor drive. Clear skies 

• Like 1

bear in mind that you'll need 6v and not the 12v most packs will push out. Also 4x NiMh will be lower volts than 4x alkaline as they are 1.25v rather than 1.5v batteries, hence suggesting use 5x NiMh to get you 6v. Wonder if you can get rechargable alkaline cells in the size you need, might be the easiest solution.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Thank you Nicola and Alien 13,There's certainly quite a few options out there, regarding the mobile phone battery bank I have a 5v 2.4a output one would this suffice .

Worth a try although some of the very latest "smart" models dont like low current loads and shut down (easily fixed by adding a secondary load like a red LED or similar). Just chop the end off a USB cable and fit a plug for the mount, cant remember though if it 5.5mm x 2.1m or 5.5mm x 2.5mm.

Alan

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Worth a try although some of the very latest "smart" models dont like low current loads and shut down (easily fixed by adding a secondary load like a red LED or similar). Just chop the end off a USB cable and fit a plug for the mount, cant remember though if it 5.5mm x 2.1m or 5.5mm x 2.5mm.

Alan

Hi Alan 

I will give this a go and see how it operates, I've got a dc plug with screw type connectors to connect the wires of the modified USB cable, nothing to lose in trying it, edit... I have the female jack plug so would have to order a male version now to do this. clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7

5 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi Alan 

I will give this a go and see how it operates, I've got a dc plug with screw type connectors to connect the wires of the modified USB cable, nothing to lose in trying it, clear skies 

The good news is that most USB cables have a RED wire positive and a Black for negative so it makes it easy but do check with a meter if you have one.

Alan

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The good news is that most USB cables have a RED wire positive and a Black for negative so it makes it easy but do check with a meter if you have one.

Alan

I will check first, I can snip off the jack plug from my battery pack for the ra motor and connect this to a USB cable. 

given a D-cell alkaline battery capacity is around 12,000mAH then around 1/5th the amount of time using the original 4xD cell pack would last. Might run you ok for an evenings use, only way to know is give it a try. Perhaps useful if you can make a lead with the right connector or a USB female to RA motor connector but modifying a USB extender cable.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

given a D-cell alkaline battery capacity is around 12,000mAH then around 1/5th the amount of time using the original 4xD cell pack would last. Might run you ok for an evenings use, only way to know is give it a try. Perhaps useful if you can make a lead with the right connector or a USB female to RA motor connector but modifying a USB extender cable.

I may give this a go, cheap enough to try it and may last for a few hours or so, worth a try for a cheap option and as I have to carry the mount, tripod and scope down and up 2 flights of stairs, there may not be many times to try it at first, so will go cheap to start with. 

2 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

What do you think of this combo to power the eq3-2 mount and how long would it power it for do you think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085WVBYXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1DN7NX21S2ZS9&psc=1

In theory it would last about 10 hours but the voltage would be unstable during the last 4 hours or so.

Alan

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

In theory it would last about 10 hours but the voltage would be unstable during the last 4 hours or so.

Alan

Thank you, I will give this a go as a quick experiment even if I could get 4 hours stable tracking out of them I'd be happy, as I say I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to get the mount, tripod, scope and dslr together down and up the stairs as a logistical challenge, I'll let you know the results, clear skies to you, but not for weeks down here 

Edited by LeeHore7

Hi, just an update to this thread I started.  I've had all the components arrive and hooked it up to my eq 3-2 mount and powers it successfully, the real test will be how it performs out in the field so to speak, even if it lasts for 3 hours I'll be well happy.

6v battery supply.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 20/11/2020 at 18:29, Nicola Hannah Butterfield said:

Hi,

sorry, I know this is an old thread but I’ve just picked up the dual axis motors for my EQ3 so I am investigating the various means of powering it. This looks like the best solution to me but can I buy a lead with spade connectors or would I have to make my own? 

Just want to avoid any unnecessary pain, already done some basic imaging so know how much there is involved but I know very little about electronics, I wasn’t aware about the limitations on battery voltage until today.

Thanking you

Paul

On 28/11/2020 at 14:14, AstroNebulee said:

Hi, just an update to this thread I started.  I've had all the components arrive and hooked it up to my eq 3-2 mount and powers it successfully, the real test will be how it performs out in the field so to speak, even if it lasts for 3 hours I'll be well happy.

6v battery supply.jpg

Hi AstroNebulee, how have you got on with this set up; how many hours are you getting and where did you get the lead to connect the battery pack to controller?

• Like 1

When I had a 6 volt RA drive, I bought a 6v lead-acid rechargeable battery and a 6V charger.  The charger IIRC was designed with remote-controlled products in mind. I made up a connecting lead myself.

Whatever rechargeable battery solution you adopt, a matching battery charger will be required. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Herts said:

Hi AstroNebulee, how have you got on with this set up; how many hours are you getting and where did you get the lead to connect the battery pack to controller?

Hi Paul 

I have since sold my eq3-2 now and never got to try it for a long run sorry. I got the leads and charging lead, which is in USB format. from cpc.farnell.com and the battery pack from amazon that usually powers radio control cars. Sorry I can't be more help but its a cheap portable power option. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi Paul 

I have since sold my eq3-2 now and never got to try it for a long run sorry. I got the leads and charging lead, which is in USB format. from cpc.farnell.com and the battery pack from amazon that usually powers radio control cars. Sorry I can't be more help but its a cheap portable power option. 

No worries but thanks for the further info. Currently pondering how to mount my camera/lens combo - I’ve used a Canon 400mm on a Sony a5100 on an Omegon minitrack for very short exposures so looking to step this up.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

When I had a 6 volt RA drive, I bought a 6v lead-acid rechargeable battery and a 6V charger.  The charger IIRC was designed with remote-controlled products in mind. I made up a connecting lead myself.

Whatever rechargeable battery solution you adopt, a matching battery charger will be required. 

Thanks Geoff 👍

Years ago I ran my EQ3-2 dual axis motors off a regulated PSU on an extension lead, but getting the extension lead from the house was no big deal for me and it was also handy for powering the laptop when I was imaging for quite a few hours.  I'd wrap the extension lead sockets in a plastic bag or put them in a plastic box to stop the dew getting to them.

James

• Like 1