Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is Eos 6D best

Ive thought about spending up to £1000 on a dedicated astro camera, ive been using a canon eos 1000d with correctly spaced m62 to m48 adapter up to now. My main issue is the flattener on my esprit 120ed pro has a m62 male thread camera side so any non dslr camera would need another custom made m62 to m48 adapter at the correct spacing for say a zwo 294 (very expensive from precise parts usa), so would a modded canon eos 6d be a good option?

Thanks for the help, duly noted Michael and i have done more research, it was the thought of having to get a custom adapter made that put me off the dedicated camera route due to the thread on the esprit 120ed flattener being m62 and would need to get it to m42 (i believe) for the zwo 294 cooled  osc, however after looking into this i think i can use the dslr adapter (mine is a 2 part dslr adapter) which goes from m62 to m48 thread and just make up the rest with a m48 to m42  to camera to get correct back focus, hmm think that all makes sense

On 15/11/2020 at 11:28, dark knight said:

would a modded canon eos 6d be a good option?

Phew, yeah. Compared to your 1000d, no contest. Especially if your 120 covers full frame, which I think it does.

A cooled astro camera anywhere near that size is gonna be €silly.

HTH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valleyman said:

Kick me if I am wrong but I dont think the 294 is cooled!

The cooled Cameras come with a variety of Adaptors and spacers have a look at the 183 or 533 for a few quid more.

Sorry if I am wrong

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

8 hours ago, valleyman said:
5 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

On the subject of adapters, TS have a large range of M68 adapters. They do not seem to be that expensive

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c205_M68-Zeiss-Thread-Adapter.html

Problem is the thread on the kit flattener that came with the esprit 120 ed is  m62