NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR 8mp vs 18.1mp

Hi All,

only my second post and thanks to the kind people here who advised on my first I’ve made my first proper step and pulled the trigger on a William Optics Zenith 60 as a starter for wide field AP.

my next conundrum is which DSLR to attach ? I have an older Canon 30D 8mp (I think) and a Canon 1300D (18.1mp) both APS-C I believe, I don’t want to assume that newer more pixels will work in my favour with AP so want to make sure I’m not missing a trick by not using the Older more solid 30D. Both are unmodified if I were to modify one for AP it would be the 30D.

Any Thoughts ?

regards

Andy H

2 hours ago, Newforestgimp said:

Canon 30D

Hi

Not so much the pixels, rather the age, lack of live view, noise and (big blocks for pixels when) matching it to your wo60.

I've a 450d a 1200d and a 700d. The difference even six years makes is quite dramatic. Go back fourteen to the 30d and, well...

Any eos with the 18mp sensor is gonna be -far- better than anything before it (and IMHO the newer 24mp eos'). My choice despite the cheap plastic, would be the -modified- 1300d. Give yourself a fighting chance!

But hey, you have both. Try them. A side by side should make your decision a lot easier.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

Like stated above, image with both and compare them... personally and in my experience, I wouldn't choose a higher res DSLR but the one with bigger pixels on the sensor... in this case would be the 30D... bigger surface area to capture more photons... stacking will negate noise...

I compared a 40D to a 7D, i.e. 10 mpix vs 18mp and the 40D out performed the 7D for sensitivity and noise was about the same...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Like stated above, image with both and compare them... personally and in my experience, I wouldn't choose a higher res DSLR but the one with bigger pixels on the sensor... in this case would be the 30D... bigger surface area to capture more photons... stacking will negate noise...

I compared a 40D to a 7D, i.e. 10 mpix vs 18mp and the 40D out performed the 7D for sensitivity and noise was about the same...

Interesting, this was the question I’ve been asking myself, I will definitely have a play with the 30D and may then get it modified for Astro specific which should in theory boost results again ?

cheers

Andy H