Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making a case for my OTA - where to find protective foam?

LoveFromGallifrey

Hi all! Bit of a strange question (sorry!). So, I'm now the proud owner of an Altair Starwave 102ED-r, and my granddad (bless him) is making a wooden storage box for it as something to do during this latest lockdown. Now, the main question is - does anyone have any suggestions on what foam to use/where to buy foam to line the box? I want this sucker to be extremely well cushioned, just in case. I have the foam that came with the scope but it doesn't fit the scope particularly well and I can see it banging around a bit. Anyone have any ideas? 

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on features the box may need? I'm planning to keek a few dessicant saches here and there to try and combat rogue moisture. Any other storage considerations? 

My TAL-M reflector came in its OEM box that uses shaped wood components to hold things in place, with cap sections to bolt down to finish the job. Older Japanese refractors often had similar wooden boxes in the same fashion. I've been thinking about doing similar for my TAL100 refractor but not got round to that so far. In shipping that came in a long cardboard box with the scope secured to a wood plate by its tube rings. While foam may absorb some of the shock wood formers lined with good foam may be enough to keep things nicely secure and absorb vibrations etc. Danger is foam may degrade over time and leave residue on the parts in contact with it so worth getting a good quality foam whichever path you take.

I recently bought some thin (3mm) closed cell foam for a dob shroud from this company, who also sell various thicknesses and types of packaging foam in standard sizes or cut to your requirements

https://www.efoam.co.uk/packaging-foam.php

my order came quickly and was as described on their site. I liked the fact that their prices include P&P, it's annoying when you get to a checkout screen and find the delivery charge doubles the cost of the item !

• Like 1

On 08/11/2020 at 16:24, Tiny Clanger said:

I recently bought some thin (3mm) closed cell foam for a dob shroud from this company, who also sell various thicknesses and types of packaging foam in standard sizes or cut to your requirements

https://www.efoam.co.uk/packaging-foam.php

my order came quickly and was as described on their site. I liked the fact that their prices include P&P, it's annoying when you get to a checkout screen and find the delivery charge doubles the cost of the item !

I have used efoam as well, and was very happy with them.