SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need a telescope recommendation

Hi folks,

New to the forum and returning from so long ago that I should say new to astronomy.   I’m excited to get back to it and start doing some imaging at some point but, first I need a good scope.  I have a Meade LX 95 115/805 refractor on back order but, I’m not sure if that’s the one I should be getting.  Money is not an object and I’m itching to turn it into an LX850 with the 130 refractor but, I’ve heard some complaints about that mount and, let’s face it, some people wouldn’t be caught with a refractor.   

I have already itchily ordered a fair weight in TeleVue.   Ethos 21, 17, 8 and 4.7 along with a Nagler 31 and a 2x powermate.  And there is a cart with a Panoptic 41 and a 3-6 zoom waiting for my anxious purchase.   I know it’s good glass and I want to back it up with the right equipment.  

Is Meade the correct choice?  Should I reconsider the OTA?   Can you make some recommendations for an amateur with a decent budget?

Charles

9 minutes ago, nephilim said:

Welcome to the forum, if money is no object then theres no reason why you shouldnt just buy one of these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/planewave-instruments-telescopes/planewave-cdk-17-optical-tube-assembly.html

You'll also need the mount https://www.firstlightoptics.com/planewave-mounts/planewave-l-350-direct-drive-mount.html In all seriousness, it all depends on whether its visual or imaging your wanting to do or both?

Edited by nephilim

Hi Dave,

I am looking at a Takahashi 130 at the moment.   It is available which is uncommon.  Not sure if it’s Covid, trade wars or Xmas but nearly everything is back-ordered.  Can you recommend a reliable heavy mount?  Something that will offer some GoTo ability but, will help me expand into Astro photography?   Reliability is the most important aspect for me.  

Thanks

I would suggest having a look at the Mesu mount - without wishing to sound like a 'fan boy' its probably one of the best mounts for the money available.  Without going into silly money for mounts like the 10Micron range that don't need guiding its a great mount.

Scope wise - it depends what you want to look at/ image.

I don't know which country you are in but if its the UK the stockist of Mesu is Bernard Karpinski at Modern Astronomy https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/mounts/mesu-optics-mounts/mesu-mount-200/

That accounts for about a third of your budget but by the time you have added in a suitable imaging scope, decent camera, filter wheel and set of good quality filters your 20k will have gone!

Turns out money is an object when I add a little sense to the mix and a bit of impatience as well.  I have ordered the Skywatcher 150mm Esprit Triplet f7 with an EQ6-R Mount.  There is very limited availability at the moment and these just arrived at Opt this morning.   Thanks for the recommendations.   I’ve ordered the book as well from England since its $123 for the paperback here in the states.  

I’ll upgrade to the Hubble later...

Gentlefolk,

Okay, OPT was wrong.  They do not have the EQ6-R Mount and won’t for a while.  So with the Skywatcher 150 on hold I look for advice again.  If I have to wait I shall.  My intention is to do a lot of viewing as I learn about imaging as imaging is a much more complex arena than I had imagined.  Much to learn, much to read and many questions to ask.   

So back to the question I started with.  What is the right scope for me?   Is a long focal refractor like a skywatcher or Tak 150 a good scope to view with and be able to image with later with the right camera?  WIll a camera with the right pixel size mate well with it?  Is the FOV on this too narrow for all but the most accurate mounts?   MESU and 10 Micron are not out of my budget if that’s what I need and I could also wait on the imaging as I learn and get a light bucket later but, a good viewing scope that will do both would be nice.  I know almost nothing now and less, it seems, as I learn but, I will become proficient eventually.  

Most people use multiple scopes.

Scopes that are good for imaging are not necessarily good for astro photography and vice verse.

I have 5 scopes at the moment. Two of them are AP scopes and 3 of them are primarily visual scopes.

6" ED or APO refractor is certainly very nice visual scope and I would possibly like to own one, but I would not use it all the time. Best scope is one that you use the most often.

Such scope is very heavy and not easy to handle and setup. It's worth having if you have permanent setup, but can become chore to setup each time very quickly and can even kill off some of observing enthusiasm.

Telescope that can "rival" 6" refractor is certainly something like 8" F/6 newtonian - on a dob mount. Why not get that for start for general observing. It is such a versatile scope and it won't eat much into your budget. You'll learn your way around the sky and practice your observing skills (you actually see more as you hone your observing skill). Very easy to setup and to operate and carry short distances (for longer distance transportation people have different solutions) as it breaks down into two pieces.

Mesu and 10 Micron are top tier mounts. Most people use much cheaper mounts and make good images with them. I think that very good platform for you to learn AP would be something like 4" APO refractor with decent dedicated cooled astro camera and EQ6 / CEM40/60/70 class mount (cem60 is no longer produced for some strange reason).

There is so much to learn in AP that you don't need to rush into it - get to know basic concepts by reading a book or looking at youtube tutorials. Reading/searching thru AP threads here on SGL is also great source of knowledge. As you start gaining understanding of AP concepts, I'm sure you'll have more exact questions and people will be happy to answer them and help you out.

• Like 1