NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flaming Star, Spider, Fly and M38 in Ha

Adreneline

This is 20 x 180s of Ha using my Canon 200m with ASI1600, unguided.

I found it hard to balance the noise reduction with not losing detail - not sure I've managed it really. I think I may also have over done keeping the lid on the stars.

Spider_layered-NR.thumb.png.31bc480d287d2bac795ff843b4e1b565.png

Hopefully get some OIII another night.

Spider_layered_NR_Annotated.thumb.jpg.404b43147a8ddc044da9aea8caa74c20.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, AstroNtinos said:

Could be better with color.

Most images are improved with colour but OIII from here is getting more and more difficult as LP levels are increasing with new house building going on all around and neighbours who have decided they need security lights on all night! LED lights are great because they are cheap to run, but, because they are cheap to run people have no problem leaving them on all night! I am sure there is also a direct correlation between clear nights and the size of the moon!

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing ;) 

24 minutes ago, AstroNtinos said:

Excellent and highly detailed image.

Thank you very much.

Adrian

Lovely image Adrian.  The black and white, high SNR Ha images are really enjoyable. 

On a recent image, I finally captured enough noisy, halo ridden OIII to add to existing Ha but it's been tough to work with compared to an enjoyable Ha version.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, geeklee said:

OIII ......... tough to work with compared to an enjoyable Ha version.

Thank you Lee. I have to say I quite like the mono images too. Ha is very rewarding in a high LP region. It is too easy to spoil a nice Ha image with some mediocre OIII just because you feel under pressure to colour the image - and with a HOO image there can be twice as much mediocre stuff!

I imaged the above whilst waiting for Sh2-240 to appear from behind the tree. I stopped off at Chi Auriga (8 x 180s) and then imaged Sh2-240 (40 x 180s) and then threw together a dodgy mosaic.

Chi_Auriga-crop.thumb.jpg.ff4e19b907eeaa3ee67e1a6612f44dc9.jpg

I'm hoping to get more on Sh2-240 tonight if the weather gods are kind. Even with 3 hours of imaging it's still very feint.

Sh2_240_Ha_ABE-MLT-Starnet-HT-crop.thumb.jpg.c76dd3c47135261324a25d352e806f2e.jpg

It's a bit of a starless WIP!

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

and with a HOO image there can be twice as much mediocre stuff!

😀 exactly!

22 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I imaged the above whilst waiting for Sh2-240 to appear from behind the tree. I stopped off at Chi Auriga (8 x 180s) and then imaged Sh2-240 (40 x 180s) and then threw together a dodgy mosaic.

Brilliant, thanks for sharing the WIP and full mosaic.  Having seen only a handful of Sh2-240 images, I hadn't quite appreciated its location in sky ☺️ 

Good luck tonight with more subs.  Where does a fast, wide field rig stop on the mosaic front... are you occasionally tempted to just keep going and create a monster mosaic in one season?! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Where does a fast, wide field rig stop on the mosaic front... are you occasionally tempted to just keep going and create a monster mosaic in one season?! 

Well I've messed around with a twelve panel around IC1396 and NGC7822 ....

..... and this one ....

... and a couple of others but you'd hardly call it serious imaging - it's more having a bit of fun with APP.

Thanks again.

Adrian

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

I really like that - the tadpoles are showing up really well.

19 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Very nice indeed! It’s an ideal area for that focal length. 

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I like the results I get from my 135mm and 200mm. They don't stand up too well to pixel peeping but that is made up for by seeing them in their setting and in context.

Adrian

Very good. The star suppression is producing a little mottling, I think, but it still looks great.

Your framing is absolutely inspired. That sweeping arc from top to bottom, crossed by the extension of IC410 at right angles, gives the image a rhythm and sense of movement which I've never seen before.

Olly

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Very good. The star suppression is producing a little mottling, I think, but it still looks great.

Thanks Olly for the kind comments. I used the curves technique you passed on to me but not sure I got it quite right really - I wondered if I had over stretched the starless image.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Your framing is absolutely inspired. That sweeping arc from top to bottom, crossed by the extension of IC410 at right angles, gives the image a rhythm and sense of movement which I've never seen before.

Thanks again. I centred up on 19 Aurigae using Sky Safari to help me frame the image. I managed to get 30 x 180s of OIII last night and was hoping I might get lucky and get the same of SII tonight and/or tomorrow night. All depends if the forecast can be believed.

Adrian 🤞