Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m33

alacant

Hi everyone

I had a bright Newtonian for the weekend, so took advantage of the new moon with a galaxy. It seems a bit too blue, but that's what Siril's photometric database gave. TBH, to make it look nice, I increased the colour saturation. Maybe too much.

Thanks for looking and Newtonian users, please post your shots of the same. Comparisons help us a lot.

700d @ ISO800 3 hours

1891197022_1-33(1).thumb.jpg.ec029d32977c5199bdb00172770796da.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. 208mm f3.9. 

Cheers

Oh great! That's fast though... I'm assuming you cannot really do planetary with it.

By the way, what mount do you use? I have an EQ5 and I hope that it'll work with my heavy 200P... 

A nice shot!

When I processed my recent shot of it, from a less than stellar humid night, I too had a very blue looking galaxy when I increased the saturation.  Maybe what we see is primarily young blue stars?

Anyway, as I've been accused by a certain well respected member of making my galaxies too blue, I dialed down the blue a little, to get the attached image.

Specs: SW 200 PDS, HEQ5Pro w/belt mod & ADM saddle, SW 0.9 CC, Canon 700Da cooled, Staraid Revolution autoguider.

Subs: 94 * 3 minutes = 282 minutes or 4.7 hours.

M33 Score 2900a 50%-denoise.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2020 at 19:23, Astrid said:

planetary

I've never pointed it toward a planet. It's best at deep sky stuff. Your f5 with a Barlow would be good for the planets, I'm sure. But remember that your f5 is the same speed as our f3.9; it collects the same amount of light.

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

blue looking galaxy

Hi

Nice shot, and certinly less blue than my effort.

Yeah, it seems that these days, you can choose your own colour scheme. There are so many to choose from. So who's to judge?!

Cheers

Edited by alacant

Here is a wip - 60 minutes taken this week with a 150PL f#8 on an EQ5. Camera is Altair Hypercam 183 mono non-cooled. Colour to come.

There is obvious horizontal banding on the composite image, but isn't on all subs. A power issue perhaps? I haven't imaged that much with the camera, but this is the first time I have seen the banding.

M33v5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great image Alacant! I was just about to post my image of M33 (from last night) when I saw this. I can't compete with your image.

I may post it separately though to see if I can get some advice. Mine is with a refractor (ED80) anyway.

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Post It! The more images on the thread, the better IMHO.

With this post, I just wanted to see what other reflector images were like.

(Are you in Spain now?)

Yes, down on the South Coast....near Malaga.... I blame the seeing.....too humid at the moment. 😉

M33_2.thumb.jpg.f3d1ba26a14ebaef151cf74e8ea4c873.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ebdons said:

Hey that's not too bad really?, a bit overprocessed but it's ok considering the conditions.

Thanks! It's just 2 hours of LRGB so maybe I have tried to drag too much out of it.

Hope Maksutov-Newtonians are allowed in?

Here's another WIP, 60 minutes from the only clear night we've had in the last fortnight (haven't done anything about the amp glow, noise or bright star reflections yet):

2080278414_Autosavec.thumb.jpg.a103715f93cb16fdbbeadbd87aa20c36.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Messier 33 - 9th october 2020

Skywatcher quattro 250s and Atik 383l+ with the efw2 and 7 pce filter wheel with 36mm unmounted Baader filters all on the skywatcher azeq6.

L-120 SEC TIMES 5 = 10 MINUTES
R-120 SEC TIMES 5 = 10 MINUTES
G-120 SEC TIMES 5 = 10 MINUTES
B-120 SEC TIMES 5 = 10 MINUTES

no darks or flats

i did boost the colour a bit :)

40 minutes in all and its a bit noisy but all in all not to bad especially for Darlington uk

MESSIER 33-NEW PSP-50 PERCENT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, daemon said:

I blame the seeing.....too humid at the moment.

Well, yeah. I know. You're a bit limited in Málaga with only 300 clear nights per year!

But seriously, that's a lovely shot of m33. Keep going with it adding more and more frames? It will get easier to process.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, toxic said:

boost the colour a bit 

Hi

So did I. I find galaxies emerge from correction pretty colourless.

Nice shot and wow, less than an hour. The aperture manifests itself. We needed 3 hours to get anywhere near.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 14:13, alacant said:

Hi

So did I. I find galaxies emerge from correction pretty colourless.

Nice shot and wow, less than an hour. The aperture manifests itself. We needed 3 hours to get anywhere near.

Cheers

a lot of noise in my image though but no surprise there -- 3 hours  ,  of clear sky in the same week not a chance in Darlington i think i picked the wrong hobby lol but i still love it. to bring the colour up a little bit i just add 20 percent L to each channel blend method is lighten then combine them to rgb then add the L to the rgb at 50 percent luminance. 

On 18/10/2020 at 17:04, alacant said:

Hi everyone

I had a bright Newtonian for the weekend, so took advantage of the new moon with a galaxy. It seems a bit too blue, but that's what Siril's photometric database gave. TBH, to make it look nice, I increased the colour saturation. Maybe too much.

Thanks for looking and Newtonian users, please post your shots of the same. Comparisons help us a lot.

700d @ ISO800 3 hours

1891197022_1-33(1).thumb.jpg.ec029d32977c5199bdb00172770796da.jpg

An excellent image, not too blue as it is. In fact there is a hint of green which is made noticeable in two spots circled. 

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 10.56.55.png

• Thanks 1

I don't think the original is too blue so much as too cyan. On this forum Vlaiv has posted plenty of good stuff on imagers' tendency to push the blues too far in spiral arms and I think he has a point. I was guilty of this in my earlier M33s so I went back to the data and did a reprocess in which I scrupulously avoided specifically pushing the blues. Normal colour calibration gave me this in HaLRGB. It's a refractor image. Sorry if this is heretical.

359522919_M33multiscope33hoursweb.thumb.jpg.a73d6dc416e9e9c8e5fb1238a0fc638e.jpg

Olly

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 18/10/2020 at 19:26, Erling G-P said:

galaxies too blue

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

too cyan

Hi everyone

OK, so you went for purple instead. Instead of what however, I don't know. An image search throws up colour schemes for all tastes. Maybe a few years ago, it was possible to decide.

ss1.thumb.jpg.b3c59ce7d25a15b8324f3072c53ba11c.jpg

7 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

OK, so you went for purple instead. Instead of what however, I don't know. An image search throws up colour schemes for all tastes. Maybe a few years ago, it was possible to decide.

ss1.thumb.jpg.b3c59ce7d25a15b8324f3072c53ba11c.jpg

Purple? Seriously? It's slightly magenta but I didn't 'go for it,' I found it in the data when the sky was calibrated to parity and the bright stars compared with their spectral classes. Obviously you can trawl the net and find any colour scheme you like but that is hardly a constructive way to inquire into what agrees with the astrophysics. We don't ascertain the date of the battle of Hastings by voting on it. The Hubble team are pretty serious but, unfortunately, they concentrated on the core. This is a warm colour with the spirals striking me as a mid blue. Since they can out resolve everyone else their blue stars will be held more towards to points than amateurs can manage so the blue will be less diffused into the arms.

spacer.png

The Hubble image is done in broadband colour and many amateurs will add Ha which, obviously, will slew the blues towards longer wavelengths in exchange for picking out interesting structures. When this is declared it seems perfectly legit to me.

Olly