Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your roof automation....

blinky

I’m selling my Skyshed Pod next spring as I’m now working from home all the time and want a home office come roll off roof observatory! Last time I automated the roof after the build was complete and as such it was functional rather than neat..... this time I’m taking my time and planning it all out. So.... what have you folks done? Show me your roof automation  and mechanisms and above all recommendations on what’s easiest to do!

When I was looking at a roll of roof I would have adapted a sliding gate automation kit. These kits are available for around £125. You get the motor and gearbox, racks, limit switches and infrared break beam sensors. They looked easy enough to adapt to the needs of a roll off roof. I really liked the idea of using the IR beam sensors so that if the scope was left point up the roof could be stopped before it hit the scope when closing.

In the end I opted for a Dome observatory but that is what I would have used had I have gone for the roll off roof.

The motor is a 12v 20 rpm geared motor I picked up from Ebay as a trial motor. At the time I didn't think I could rebuild the shutter to implement automation. I did, the motor is far beefier than I realised and the track and gear  were purchased from https://www.beltingonline.com/.

I will try to find the details of the motor, also.

Steve

3 hours ago, blinky said:

What sort of motor is that and where did you get the track from?

Motor details:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/QINGRUI-100rpm-120rpm-200rpm-disassemble/dp/B08H78LPDX/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=12v%2Bmotor%2B20rpm&qid=1603102065&sr=8-47&th=1

From Amazon & not Ebay. Although this shows a 400 RPM motor you will need something a little slower :)

Steve

• Like 1

Automation of roof and south flap on this page of my build thread. 

gate opener for roof and linear actuator for flap. 

Further automation not yet reported uses magnetic security switches to sense open and close positions for roof and flap. Open and close switches for roof and flap controlled by relay operated by VM110 card under control of Voyager.

so far working OK.