NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-126 HaRgb Mosaic

Allinthehead

Hi all, this is sh2-126 in Lacerta. If you locate Andromeda and trace a line towards Deneb it's about half way. This is a large star forming region approx 1200 light years from earth. The source of it's ionisation is the intense ultraviolet radiation of the star 10 Lacertae, a blue main sequence star.

I had great fun collecting this data, on the first night I noticed what looked like a pinched mirror in the images as they came through so I had to perform surgery with the scope on the mount. I removed the primary mirror, loosened the screws on the mirror clips and put everything back together. The scope held collimation throughout which is a testament to how well built the Epsilon is. The battles continued on through the rest of the data collection with cloud, humidity and fog all adding to the fun, oh and not forgetting a lovely new floodlight my neighbour installed that points right at my scope.

Data was collected with an Asi2600mc through an Epsilon 130.

6 Panels and a total of 24 hrs rgb with 10 hrs of Ha taken with a Samyang 135 and Asi 1600mm. If anyone is ever thinking of imaging this be aware it's quite feint and I found the image is nothing without the ha.

Image is uploaded as .jpg and reduced to .5 to keep the image size reasonable.

Hope you like it,

Richard. 

1872458173_6_panel_HargbFinal.thumb.jpg.d90c543230210a0ba0f04620a2ea0df3.jpg

• Like 31

Very nice indeed Richard. I might have to give this one a go myself although RGB from here is pretty disappointing.

Just looking on Sky Safari I think it might be better suited to the Canon 200mm rather than the 135mm?

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline

Fantastic mosaic Richard. And a great idea to make use of the old Ha data too.

Glad you got the diffraction artefacts sorted. The stars look even more awesome now. 

The wee galaxy (NGC 7379) hiding at middle left was a joy to find 😀

Great image, Richard. I remember this target from last time you presented it. I like this mosaic.

2 hours ago, Xiga said:

There are a few on the right as well.

13 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image, Richard. I remember this target from last time you presented it. I like this mosaic.

There are a few on the right as well.

Quite right! I just assumed the Platesolving would pick up on most, but it actually only highlights a very small number.

Spent a bit more time eyeballing it at 100% and there are actually loads sprinkled throughout. It's quite fun hunting around looking for them 🧐 

43 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Spent a bit more time eyeballing it at 100% and there are actually loads sprinkled throughout. It's quite fun hunting around looking for them

It’s even more fun using simbad to find more about them. Some may be several hundred million light years away.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Xiga said:

Fantastic mosaic Richard. And a great idea to make use of the old Ha data too.

Glad you got the diffraction artefacts sorted. The stars look even more awesome now. 

Thanks Ciarán, I'd love to be able to upload the full res.

20 hours ago, wimvb said:

Thanks Wim, it was nice to see all the different versions of the last image.

On 11/10/2020 at 19:22, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Brendan, it's a great little scope. Hoping to get my hands on a 180 some day.

Or an RASA 8 😉 so you do not need to rob the bank 💰🕵️‍♀️. An outstanding mosaic - you are clearly well equipped with both humour and stamina to pull that off!

Super result on one of the strangest and most beautiful of objects. What is different about this Ha region is that it is locally so smooth. Normally Ha objects are full of local structure but this is just a glorious set of sweeping curves.

Olly

On 12/10/2020 at 20:53, wimvb said:

Many of the faint fuzzies in the background have similar redshift values, and are 200 - 250 Mly away from us.

Cool, how do you know this?

On 13/10/2020 at 15:07, gorann said:

Or an RASA 8 😉 so you do not need to rob the bank 💰🕵️‍♀️. An outstanding mosaic - you are clearly well equipped with both humour and stamina to pull that off!

Ya, I'll only be getting a 180 if one comes up second hand. Not much humour in me last night, clear sky but camera wouldn't connect, sorted that, then mount wouldn't connect, sorted that. Took an exposure and a big long trail, then mount started to make a grinding noise, got that sorted, then the mount physically moved about 2 cm in azimuth throwing off polar alignment. Then I had a whiskey😆

• Haha 1

On 13/10/2020 at 16:56, ollypenrice said:

Super result on one of the strangest and most beautiful of objects. What is different about this Ha region is that it is locally so smooth. Normally Ha objects are full of local structure but this is just a glorious set of sweeping curves.

Olly

Thanks Olly, it was your wonderful version that introduced me to this region.

On 13/10/2020 at 19:07, astro mick said:

What a strange looking object,but beautifully done.

Mick.

Thanks Mick, It is strange isn't it. Seems to be just hanging there away from everything.

On 13/10/2020 at 19:28, tomato said:

Wonderful image. Any theories on what creates the ridge lines in the nebulosity?

Thanks, I don't and there's very little information online at least about the area. 

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 20:28, tomato said:

Wonderful image. Any theories on what creates the ridge lines in the nebulosity?

4 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks, I don't and there's very little information online at least about the area. 

We could just say it’s superman’s cape.

4 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Cool, how do you know this?

The simbad database and Wikipedia.

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1