Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier/Mount Condensation

Hello all I have managed to get my pier up and it is another world - I love it

I know my balance point and just bring out the scope and hook it up a plug-in and off I go

I have been using a bucket and cheap brown plastic tarpaulins  (as per picture) wrapped around it

I came out today and noticed a large amount of condensation on the mount  itself

I have thought about using bags of desiccant but I think I would go to through too much  I do not have a microwave to recharge them

so I thought of a super basic Argiano with the humidity sensor and some sort of 5 V  usb heaters Or similar.

Idea being they would only kick in when dew start to form. Hopefully saving electric bill  

I have found lots of DIY entries concerning dew heaters but not concerning what I’m talking about

any tight budget conscious ideas Would be most welcome

18F91DF3-834F-45F5-AA1D-6200A286CEE2.jpeg

Edited by 8324689

Never had one but my mounts often got dripping wet even in a RoR obs.

You could enclose it in a well ventilated box e.g. with Stevenson screens or a copper box where the condensation will form more on that.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

@8324689, I used a similar set-up for years: inverted plastic dustbin, with lid attached (pier going through a hole cut in the lid). Not sure if your bucket has a lid. The mount got a bit damp, but no harm done to the mount. This was a Vixen SP mount, many years ago. However, I didn't cover the set-up with tarpaulins. Maybe that's your problem as you do need air to circulate and perhaps these prevent it.

Also, the plastic dustbin looks bigger than your bucket, so more room for circulating air.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

@8324689, I used a similar set-up for years: inverted plastic dustbin, with lid attached (pier going through a hole cut in the lid). Not sure if your bucket has a lid. The mount got a bit damp, but no harm done to the mount. This was a Vixen SP mount, many years ago. However, I didn't cover the set-up with tarpaulins. Maybe that's your problem as you do need air to circulate and perhaps these prevent it.

Also, the plastic dustbin looks bigger than your bucket, so more room for circulating air.

Thanks Jeremy 

yes I’ve switched from orange bucket to larger bin! Well noticed. 

I’ll see how I go with the bin as just got it today.  hopefully more circulation. 

thanks 

• Like 1

I reinforced the underside of the decking many times and coach bolted it in. 
It’s not ideal but it actually works great. when polar aligning I have to stand aside check it and go back and forth and stand aside again so my weight on the decking does not influence the alignment. 

Plus I control it from inside the house on Wi-Fi which helps

They said a non-decoupled pier on a decking would not work but I defied that!

Firstly I want to say that I'm not making this up: I have used the system! You can buy puppy warmers. Yes! They also work on cats and telescopes... Mine consists of a table mat-sized stainless sheet with a tiny heating element in it. It costs virtually nothing to run and, if it's left near the mount in an insulated, ventilated area it will keep things near it above the dew point and prevent condensation.  In your application I would make or source a deeper lightweight box to pop over the mount. Thin marine ply is easy to work with, duly varnished. I'd then line this with insulation material, anything from the hard stuff for walls and roof insulation to flexible camping mat. This will trap the pet-warmer's heat inside and increase its efficiency. Electronics don't like damp in my experience, especially handsets.

Olly

PS The puppy-warmers are designed not to be damaged by damp - for obvious reasons!🤣

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this Olly. I have to say so far so good with the large bin however I will be keeping my eye on this at the whole time plus I can never stop tinkering 🤪

So I might just give it a go

5 minutes ago, 8324689 said:

Thanks for this Olly. I have to say so far so good with the large bin however I will be keeping my eye on this at the whole time plus I can never stop tinkering 🤪

So I might just give it a go

If you like tinkering my puppy warmer is powered by a golf buggy battery charged from a solar panel with light activated switch that turns it off in the daytime 😆

Dave

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If you like tinkering my puppy warmer is powered by a golf buggy battery charged from a solar panel with light activated switch that turns it off in the daytime 😆

Dave

Mr Technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣

• Haha 3

On 10/10/2020 at 17:48, andrew s said:

As long as its water proof  just leave it.  Regards Andrew 

My NEQ6 stands year in  year out on a pier  protected by a bicycle cover. At the beginning of this year I discovered , after a night of strong wind and rain, that it had torn and the mount was soaked !

I took it into the garage and dried it and left it in the warm for a couple of days, and it worked flawlessly and has continued to do so since that time. It often exhibited condensation when I would use it.  So long as it is covered, I have to agree with Andrew.  I don't  leave the controller or power lead under the cover however, even though there is power to the  weatherproof box at the foot of the pier.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3