Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

23.09.20 Slighty better seeing today. Pick'n'mix.

Rusted

The disturbed region marches onwards across the disk. No obvious spots.

I am still experimenting with processing to match the forum's image rendition.

All of these are of the same, original capture. Pick 'n' mix.

23.09.2020 11.06 b1200 1.6x gpc bw.jpg

23.09.2020 11.06 b1200 1.6x gpc bw 2.jpg

23.09.2020 11.06 b1200 1.6x gpc col.jpg

23.09.2020 11.06 b1200 1.6x gpc col 2.jpg

• Like 9

you have nailed very well processing here ,  stick with it and always save your processing settings.   They are usually unique to your own  telescope and camera setup /  filter setup.      I would keep the one you have in this session for sure!

I like to share mine )the imppg setting(,    attached are what i have been using lately for the calcium procesing.      First i do the "brighter first pass"  which kind brings up the spicule layer.  Then the "last pass B"   is for a bit of slightly agressive sharpening to focus.      A third pass is used sometimes for harder focus.

brighter first pass.xml last passB.xml

Edited by Kitsunegari
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Kitsunegari said:

you have nailed very well processing here ,  stick with it and always save your processing settings.   They are usually unique to your own  telescope and camera setup /  filter setup.      I would keep the one you have in this session for sure!

I like to share mine )the imppg setting(,    attached are what i have been using lately for the calcium procesing.      First i do the "brighter first pass"  which kind brings up the spicule layer.  Then the "last pass B"   is for a bit of slightly agressive sharpening to focus.      A third pass is used sometimes for harder focus.

brighter first pass.xml 433 B · 0 downloads last passB.xml 447 B · 0 downloads

Thank you for the ImPPG settings suggestions.   I have saved them as text files for further study.

I am always grateful for tips from experts. :thumbsup:

That said, I treat every single image as unique and have no fixed ImPPG settings.
Nor have I ever used Adaptive settings in anger. Not once. I can't even see what Adaptive does to an image. :icon_scratch:

ImPPG is extremely frustrating to use because it often spoils images without really sharpening them.
They go very dark and "spotty" in my hands. Without achieving any of the desirable subtlety and realism.

I wouldn't be without ImPPG but still have much to learn despite my countless hours of live practice.
I continuously process videos to final images and post them on my blog while I am capturing at the telescope.
A couple of minutes from capture to posting an image online is all it takes me. It probably shows! :blush:

My final treatment in simple image handling software [PhotoFiltre] often makes a bigger difference.
Histogram, gamma, colour saturation and contrast will often rescue a "weak" image coming from ImPPG.

Here are a couple of later examples from yesterday downloaded from my blog.
The fine detail was just beginning show live on the monitor in the late afternoon seeing. Rather than only appearing after processing.

The first image looks far too "weak" to me on my 28" HD home PC monitor but looks fine on my imaging AOC monitor in the observatory.
The second image has extra work in PhotoFiltre to strengthen the filaments and surface detail.
I keep thinking I should bring the AOC indoors and put the softer Samsung HD 28" out in the observatory.

I'd value your opinion on whether this extra handling is actually an improvement. :)

23.09.2020 16.41 b1200 1.6x gpc col from blog.jpg

23.09.2020 16.41 b1200 1.6x gpc col darker from blog.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Although the question was not directed to me and I'm not an imager let alone an expert one, the 2nd image, to my eye, seems the better one.     🙂 

Thank you Peter. :thumbsup: I'm glad we agree. :)

I have just been trying different screens and monitors.
A brighter Gamma setting seems to rob the images of detail.
While slightly darker settings emphasise the detail and contrast.
I tried a 4K TV, high res laptop, 10" tablet and two 27/28" monitors.