SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shocked by this.

Adam J

I agree mate! I'm actually 40 myself in January too but it's not mid life grumpiness, it's genuine shock and concern! A child could watch his vid and think it's funny to copy him and view the Sun through telescope and be INSTANTLY BLINDED!! I commented as much to Dylan in the comments on YouTube! Wes, Liverpool, UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Just wondering if I am the only one who thinks that what he shows at the start of this video is really stupid, joke or not. Or perhaps I am just getting grumpy now I have hit 40. 

Discuss. 

Adam 

I've watched this video a few times, I found it very enjoyable.  I think it's very clever and well done with the humour surrounding the dangers of the sun.  I would go as far to say that most people will see this for what it is - satire.  You should not go out and blindly copy what you see on a video, that for me would be the shocking aspect.

16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've watched this video a few times, I found it very enjoyable.  I think it's very clever and well done with the humour surrounding the dangers of the sun.  I would go as far to say that most people will see this for what it is - satire.  You should not go out and blindly copy what you see on a video, that for me would be the shocking aspect.

The majority of people who hurt themselves like this are children. Having two young children I can tell you that although I get it, they don't understand toung in cheek. 

I know children are not his audience but some will be watching his content. 

Edited by Adam J

19 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Some of Dylan’s content is questionable but overall I think he’s ok and if you take his channel for being just entertainment its fine IMHO.

Yeah I like most of his stuff, but I just thought this was dumb. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The majority of people who hurt themselves like this are children. Having two young children I can tell you that although I get it, they don't understand toung in cheek. 

I know children are not his audience but some will be watching his content. 

I have three young kids, I understand your concern.  But we cannot sensor everything, where do we stop?

I'm way over 40, and I enjoy every video he's posting. Next to interesting info, he brings more rock'nroll in astrophotograhpy than Doctor Brain May 😉

As for children watching this, I'd be very happy if my kids at the age of say 8 to 14 were interested in Dylan's video, rather then in the other rubbish that is posted all over the internet.

AstroRookie

I've just watched Dylan's latest video called "Take A Photo Of  A Planet in the Day". In it he mentions confusing his sarcasm with instruction when viewing the sun at position 1:25. I think he may be reading this thread or alternatively has had feedback on his other social media platforms.

On 21/09/2020 at 21:09, TerryMcK said:

I've just watched Dylan's latest video called "Take A Photo Of  A Planet in the Day". In it he mentions confusing his sarcasm with instruction when viewing the sun at position 1:25. I think he may be reading this thread or alternatively has had feedback on his other social media platforms.

Yeah, I actually read it as him addressing the issue while using sarcasum to save face. Read between the lines and he has said yeah dont look at the sun but if you took me seriously then your dumb....I would 100% agree with that, you would have to be dumb to do it, the problem is some people are dumb but just because they are dumb its not ok to give them ideas.

You just have to look at the spike in Google hits for "did i damage my eyes", after every total solar eclipse.

And yeah its not just me he has had lots of feedback on it, he would not be botherd enough by a single comment from me to feel the need to mention it.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Sorry, I'm with Adam J.  The sun 'joke' is an in-joke for astronomers. When you post on the net you have no idea who will be watching or how they will interpret what you say. They may well not 'get' your irony at all. (Irony is the term, by the way, rather than sarcasm.)

And, I'm sorry again, I found the rest of the humour pretty turgid as well.

Olly

• Like 2