Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 650D Amp Glow

Hi all, after a bit of advice...

I've been using my 650D for 2 years in total and had it modified at the start of this year. I've had absolutely no issues with amp glow until this week, when I added a battery grip to allow more imaging time in one night. This is the only thing I've changed in the setup and can only assume it's the culprit. It's the genuine Canon battery grip but one of the batteries isn't. 

Anybody had this issue with battery grips before? I'll be very disappointed to revert back to just one battery. I'd considered a dummy battery with dew heater, but my controller is only 9 months old and I got the battery grip from CameraJungle second hand for £35, which seemed like a bargain. 

edit: I've added an image for info. This is with one curve stretch applied in Photoshop. The glow is in the bottom left, and my images from last night have the exact same issue.

Thanks

Nick

Gradient Issue.jpg

Edited by AstroExploring
Added image

A dummy battery  and external supply is probably the best way to go, you can make your own using a buck converter with 12volt supply regulated to 7 point something volts from memory.

You can always sell the battery grip to a " normal " tog.

Dave

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

A dummy battery  and external supply is probably the best way to go, you can make your own using a buck converter with 12volt supply regulated to 7 point something volts from memory.

You can always sell the battery grip to a " normal " tog.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think that's probably the answer but I was hoping to avoid it if possible.

5 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Is the glow in a dark frame? If so then its electronic, if not, a light leak most likely.

Yes the glow is in a dark frame too

I have the 650D but don't use it for astro. I bought this dummy battery and power supply https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACK-E8-Adapter-Replacement-Supply-Cameras/dp/B01HJLT4YU

It works fine and is 7.2 volts. I got mine for £9.99 but it seems to have gone up in price since I bought it.

My 400D uses a similar dummy battery/power supply and there is zero amp glow.

• Like 1

I find this very odd as a battery grip removes the heat generated by the battery from inside the camera so should always improve things, I cant remember an issue with my 650D.

Have to ask how you took your dark frames as light leak through an un covered viewfinder can still cause problems if you just covered the main scope/lens.

Alan

12 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I find this very odd as a battery grip removes the heat generated by the battery from inside the camera so should always improve things, I cant remember an issue with my 650D.

Have to ask how you took your dark frames as light leak through an un covered viewfinder can still cause problems if you just covered the main scope/lens.

Alan

Yep, I find it very odd too! I took my darks at 4am, with everything still setup and the viewfinder covered. I've just done a test in a dark cupboard, with and without the battery grip, and unfortunately the grip is definitely causing the issue but I have no idea why :sad: 

11 minutes ago, AstroExploring said:

Yep, I find it very odd too! I took my darks at 4am, with everything still setup and the viewfinder covered. I've just done a test in a dark cupboard, with and without the battery grip, and unfortunately the grip is definitely causing the issue but I have no idea why :sad: 

Thats very odd, I take it you tried the grip with just a single battery installed?

Just a thought but looking at the image you uploaded would suggest that issue is in the top right of the camera looking from the back, exactly where the battery contacts are...

Alan

11 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Thats very odd, I take it you tried the grip with just a single battery installed?

Just a thought but looking at the image you uploaded would suggest that issue is in the top right of the camera looking from the back, exactly where the battery contacts are...

Alan

Yes I've also tried it with a single battery. Also checked with just the non-Canon battery to see if that was causing the problem but it doesn't seem to be. As soon as I take the grip off and try either battery straight in the camera the problem goes away.

Interesting thought. Do you think it's excess heat from the grip for some reason? 

1 minute ago, AstroExploring said:

Yes I've also tried it with a single battery. Also checked with just the non-Canon battery to see if that was causing the problem but it doesn't seem to be. As soon as I take the grip off and try either battery straight in the camera the problem goes away.

Interesting thought. Do you think it's excess heat from the grip for some reason? 

Its very strange, cant imagine its heat from the grip otherwise the effects would be seen on the top edge of the image but looks like you have eliminated all other possibilities including any possible light leaks by being in a darkened cupboard.

Alan

• Thanks 1