Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VdB152 and surroundings - more from the RASA 8

gorann

Here is VdB152 and surrounding dust structures in Cepheus, caught with the RASA 8 last night. The nebulosity in this area is quite faint, and this is what 5.5 hours at f/2 could collect using the ASI2600 OSC at gain 100.

The bird-head like structure to the right is VdB 152 (also known as Cederblad 201), a blue reflection nebula that glows atop of a dark Bok globule called Barnard 175. It is located about 1,400 light years-away from Earth.

82 x 4 min stacked in PI and processed in PS. There is quite a lot of Ha happening in the image so maybe I aim at it again next time the moon is up.

There is some annoyingly nice dark nebulosity with some blue reflections protruding from the left edge of the image. Maybe I should crop it away not to distract from the main object? I am tempted to aim at it another night to see it in its full extent.

20200916-17 VDB152 RASA PS25smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Great job!  This was my 'todo' last night, but I ended up choosing SH2-155 instead.

Thanks Adam! I did the Cave nebula in HaRGB a year ago - a really nice object that has everything.

Edited by gorann

This is quite emarrasing but I just realized that the dark nebulosity to the right in my VdB152 image is part of the Sark Nebula LDN1235 that I just imaged and posted, so tonight I am obviously pointing the RASA towards the last one of this triplet: LDB 1251 seen to the right in this excellent wide field by Scott Rosen:

LDN-1235-1251--200-6D-NoFilt-1600-2014-1

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice one Gorann, this looks like it's jumping out of my screen. You're really making up for not having any imaging time in the summer. 

Thanks Richard! Yes it is a photogenic nebula. I caught a third one last night: LDN1251. Posting it now. It seems like I am going to get one more clear night🙂 before clouds move in for at least a week🥴