Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starsense Explorer Stand Alone Conversion

johninderby

Not quite sure if the mounts section is the best place for this but not sure where else to put it. 🤔

Finished adapting the Starsense Explorer untit to a standard Synta type finder shoe fitting.

No mods needed to the Starsense unit. The unit has it’s own vertical quick release bracket so made up an adapter plate with a Synta type dovetail that could be screwed onto the bottom of the Starsense bracket. Used a piece of 6mm thick acetal plastic with the Synta finder dovetail bolted to it with a spacer. Nice and neat. 👍🏻

Now the Starsense unit fits any Synta finder shoe.🙂

Pics of it fitted to the Bresser dob and the Rowan AZ100 mount. Made up a mounting bracket for the AZ100 with a short dovetail bar that can easily be fitted to the mount and the counterweight bar still fits.

Clear spell for to tonight if the forecast is to be beleived so might actually be able to try it.🙏🏼

BDF0F695-41B1-4ADF-8EE7-9204720B44C6.jpeg

3C8A1086-C65F-4076-BA08-7E597BF84AFA.jpeg

4375B238-60F5-444A-9698-F2C365FAF045.jpeg

4E0564C0-B80E-4875-AB4E-AE53986F90D4.jpeg

D1DF852A-06F8-4F26-9A3A-190533881E02.jpeg

E5CA0D17-F695-4B0B-8818-0AC58FB65748.jpeg

134927F9-D090-4E83-85BF-34E10706DDFE.jpeg

FB763961-C66F-401A-B314-2E4E222E2875.jpeg

EB8C2D03-98E0-4C96-B105-E91BD78F5B2E.jpeg

24E80F1A-80DC-40A7-BC77-728FA98E3862.jpeg

5AC1D86F-8064-4BBA-8A61-13E57A293EB5.jpeg

• Like 12

Looks good John, looking forward to the reports. Be handy to know how the OEM scope performs too out of curiosity. I know the LT mount isn't great but as a starter for my daughter or even a lightweight grab n go for myself it might be useful.

On the unlock code/registration, can you confirm if its one code that you can register against 5 emails or 5 codes etc?

Permanent cloud or so it seems has prevented a proper test. 🤬

Since adding the Bresser handle to the Bresser 100 mak have added a finder shoe to the handle so the Starsense can be fitted to the scope and retain the 6x30 RACI.

Should make for a grab’n’go push to setup. 👍🏻

1A78546D-B32B-4F25-A64D-3674BD0128C7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t forgotten about this thread but still waiting for clear skies to test ot properly. 

The brief test I did showed it aquired the location OK but as it plate solves again when you have moved to the target means it requires fairly clear skies to work.

• Thanks 1

It would be a nice touch to try the free alternative software SkEye on Android with the same adapter hardware. If it works almost or as good then we just need a 3d printer guru to come up with a diy adapter 🙂 though I suppose it may not like the mirrored view captured.

21 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

It would be a nice touch to try the free alternative software SkEye on Android with the same adapter hardware. If it works almost or as good then we just need a 3d printer guru to come up with a diy adapter 🙂 though I suppose it may not like the mirrored view captured.

SkEye can be used in a similar orientation if you switch it to indirect mode and align to a known point, just needs a suitable phone holder and tripod adaptor to mount it. There is a thread on here that shows some setups for this. It can't however do the platesolve that this celestron app brings to the party for more accuracy.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

I've recieved my Lt 70 starsense and will add to this thread as I adapt it to fit my skytee with Ed120.

Looking at the scope and mount though. I think it's ideal for kids. The accessories are a bit rubbish to be fair and the mount will need a bit of weight added to it, but the tube looks fine. For £130 I'd say the starsense unit and plate solving software is worth it so free scope for the grandkids. Win win 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I've recieved my Lt 70 starsense and will add to this thread as I adapt it to fit my skytee with Ed120.

Looking at the scope and mount though. I think it's ideal for kids. The accessories are a bit rubbish to be fair and the mount will need a bit of weight added to it, but the tube looks fine. For £130 I'd say the starsense unit and plate solving software is worth it so free scope for the grandkids. Win win 

Steve

Mine should arrive Monday Steve. Hoping it'll work ok on EQ mounts as most of mine are. Was thinking much the same re the scope and if I can rig something for my phone on the Joby holder then the starsense pod can stay on the scope and be either a lightweight to carry when out or be passed to daughter/grandkids to use.

I've just placed an order as on inspection  it looks like an easy Bodge to fit it to my Orion Optics Dob base using parts I already have, just need to pick up some flat aluminium bar from Wickes/B&Q.

Hopefully simple enough that even I can't mess it up.

Will add details later.

• Like 1

just reflashed my old note-3 to android v10, loaded up a few apps including starsense explorer as that wouldn't install on the N7 ROM version (android 6.0.1). Funny when I fired it up it said not compatible, then seems to run just fine after that. I guess I'll know more once mine arrives and I have an unlock code to try and see if the camera and everything are picked up correctly.

Edited by DaveL59

43 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

just reflashed my old note-3 to android v10, loaded up a few apps including starsense explorer as that wouldn't install on the N7 ROM version (android 6.0.1). Funny when I fired it up it said not compatible, then seems to run just fine after that. I guess I'll know more once mine arrives and I have an unlock code to try and see if the camera and everything are picked up correctly.

Hi Dave, I got the same message on an Samsung j3. How did you do this re-flash thing? 

Edited by Steve Clay

18 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Hi Dave, I got the same message on an Samsung j3. How did you do this re-flash thing? 

ahh I've spent a few days trawling around the XDA developers forum looking at what Note-X ported ROM's are around for this old note-3. The Note-7 port ran nice but was android 6 so SkEye would load and work but not starsense - play wouldn't even offer it. So I've moved up to an AOSP ROM now that is droid 10 and got it to install.

The message about incompatibility is different I think, means you are on android 7.1 so the app installs. I guess it may be something about a hardware component it was looking for and either didn't find or found older firmware than it expects. I notice that on the play store app reviews there's many who said it works a couple times then says incompatible and doesn't work after. Guess we'll find out as we try.

Did your app report it was a beta when first fired up? Mine did on the note-3 but can't recall it doing that on the note-10

• Thanks 1

Another order placed. Thanks to johninderby for developing the mod and Adeking for pointing me to it. 

As well as plate-solved push-to for my Dob I plan to use it for polar alignment using Polaris for my grab and go Az-GTi in Eq mode. All that and a happy grandson with the mount and OTA! 

Looking forward to hearing and sharing usage experiences. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

ahh I've spent a few days trawling around the XDA developers forum looking at what Note-X ported ROM's are around for this old note-3. The Note-7 port ran nice but was android 6 so SkEye would load and work but not starsense - play wouldn't even offer it. So I've moved up to an AOSP ROM now that is droid 10 and got it to install.

The message about incompatibility is different I think, means you are on android 7.1 so the app installs. I guess it may be something about a hardware component it was looking for and either didn't find or found older firmware than it expects. I notice that on the play store app reviews there's many who said it works a couple times then says incompatible and doesn't work after. Guess we'll find out as we try.

Did your app report it was a beta when first fired up? Mine did on the note-3 but can't recall it doing that on the note-10

I've installed on a S9 the app did say beta. It wouldn't install on the J3.

2 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I've installed on a S9 the app did say beta. It wouldn't install on the J3.

yeah my note 10 seems happy and I've kinda some hopes the N3 might fly as I was thinking it can just be a mini tablet for astro stuff but being it dates from 2012 ish Will have to see when I can enter the code and try it out.

For the J3 what version of android is it running (about and software version) as you'd need to be on at least 7.1.2 I think. From the specs it didn't have a magnetometer so if starsense expects that then there's not much you can do about it. That said, Celestron do list the J3 in their compatibility list
https://starsenseexplorer.simcur.com/

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

yeah my note 10 seems happy and I've kinda some hopes the N3 might fly as I was thinking it can just be a mini tablet for astro stuff but being it dates from 2012 ish Will have to see when I can enter the code and try it out.

For the J3 what version of android is it running (about and software version) as you'd need to be on at least 7.1.2 I think. From the specs it didn't have a magnetometer so if starsense expects that then there's not much you can do about it. That said, Celestron do list the J3 in their compatibility list
https://starsenseexplorer.simcur.com/

Hi Dave,

Yes I saw it in the list. I'll check the version. Like you I was just going to leave it on the mount.

It running 5.1 lollipop and the starsense needs nougat. I've googled flashing phones so will give it a go tomorrow.

Steve

Edited by Steve Clay

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I think all these conversions in the pipeline have angered the weather gods. Or at least it seems that way looking at the long range forecast.

It can’t stay cloudy forever................can it? 😬

Was slightly worried after I ordered from Harrison's that I'd be told it was out of stock as I understood that Celestron scopes were direct shipped from David Hinds who showed out of stock, but I had a text this morning confirming DPD delivery on Tuesday.

Parts of the mod fittings for the OO UK dob mount have been made this afternoon in anticipation.

Will add details here as it's assembled.

Thanks @johninderby for the initial post.

This would be excellent functionality to add to the general SkySafari app.

Looking forward to the skies clearing around March so I can test it out.

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 1

according to tracking, mine left Dartford, reached Birmingham hub and is now on its way back south to Sittingbourne depot. Delivery supposed to be tomorrow so finders crossed... Pity I couldn't have picked it up myself as they aren't so far away and I'd have had it Friday.

so having just received my LT70 this morning I had a quick explore of the hardware, shame the foot is tapered or it'd be a real simple fix in the joby phone holder. It holds but not ideal to be able to rely on it remaining stable. I guess a rubber band under the phone might work tho.

image.png.d9968bd3e9644ac38d53989648f6e7d6.png

I notice that the view from the camera with the note-3 is pretty good in terms of corners and edges, but the note-10 clips and the phone itself cuts the view. Different camera arrangements plus I think the 10 has a wider FoV:

image.png.f575d705a2acd3f949d20e2b1e1e4d62.png

The above is with the camera set to 1x, hopefully won't affect function. Will see later if I can register the note-3 also and if that'll work. Would be nice as the plan was to retire the N3 to be a mini tablet and for astro use so that'd be my preferred rig if the hardware can support the app.

Will have a look at the OEM foot and see what I can to to transfer it onto a camera bar in a while.

• Thanks 1