Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

72ed big fat blue refractor stars

alacant

700684358_1-7000(1).thumb.jpg.aaf003d6d8042765c33727527beb9783.jpgHi everyone

Could anyone tell me if this is what we can expect? It seems rather shot-quiqly-with-an-old-achro style. Unfortunately I can't find anything with which to comapre. Maybe just my processing but i would have thought even a cheap doublet would produce less blue than this.

Please tell me I'm mistaken! Must say, I like the FOV it gives.

SW 72ed with ff tsflat2 at 128mm.

TIA and clear skies

It doesn't necessarily answer your question but I've seen no blue with my SW 72ED DS PRO, could it be the field flattener causing it!? 🤔 how did you get the SW's 420mm fl down to 128mm or have i miss read that!?  Someone with more experience will probably be able to help more. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rustang said:

the SW's 420mm fl down to 128mm

1122975248_1-281(1).thumb.jpg.9496cddec411177420ba9db6d1f7151b.jpg

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Do you have an example with bright stars? it would really help us decide.

128mm is the working distance from the ff to the camera chip for fl 420mm. I suppose it could be the ff or maybe just the bright stars. I tried a different field with fewer bright stars and it came out better. Maybe need to adjust the processing. lightly does it perhaps.

Cheers and clear skies

I think you’ve just pushed the processing a bit too far- there are dark haloes around many of the stars suggesting that the deconvolution is a bit too fierce or your star mask wasn’t quite generous enough...The image is also stretched quite hard so you get white cores and accentuate the haloes....

Startools has a nice ‘fringe killer’ filter that allows you to selectively reduce these blue haloes, but the best first step might be to go gently with the post processing...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, catburglar said:

go gently

I think you're spot on, and yeah, I'd forgotten about st's fringe killer.  One more go with st and I think I'm nearly there. Also reminder to self not to process in a sunlit room.

This is where it stands:

262648874_2-7000(1).thumb.jpg.9a23e7727edff544eb71583dc1fccaf7.jpg

9 hours ago, alacant said:

1122975248_1-281(1).thumb.jpg.9496cddec411177420ba9db6d1f7151b.jpg

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Do you have an example with bright stars? it would really help us decide.

128mm is the working distance from the ff to the camera chip for fl 420mm. I suppose it could be the ff or maybe just the bright stars. I tried a different field with fewer bright stars and it came out better. Maybe need to adjust the processing. lightly does it perhaps.

Cheers and clear skies

This was one of my first attempts at the Heart Nebula before I learnt how to reduce the stars in post, captured with my 72mm. It has some bright stars but not the biggest. 

IMG_20200910_105901.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

the fringe killer

Yeah, thanks. I'm gonna have to rethink this. Maybe mosaics with a reflector is the way to go...

Anyway, not given up yet. I'll try with a uv-ir tonight. I seem to remember that that gave some improvement to an 80ed I once suffered!

Cheers