Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP19 - Sunday, 13th September 2020 7:30pm BST - Big Bangs and Big Rips: Cosmology in the 20th Century by Dr Matthew Bothwell

Grant

It is a great pleasure to welcome back to SGL Dr Matthew Bothwell to give us his talk: Big Bangs and Big Rips: Cosmology in the 20th Century.

Matt came to the 2018 SGL SP and gave us our keynote talk "Monsters in the Dark"  - searching for the Universe’s most massive galaxies’ so it's fantastic to have him back again to deliver another talk. Matt is one of my favourite astronomy speakers so I am particularly looking forwards to this one.

Matt is an outreach astronomer at the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge University.  He was an undergraduate at the University of Southampton, and studied for his Master’s at the Harvard Center of Astrophysics. He received his PhD in 2011 from the University of Cambridge, working with Prof. Rob Kennicutt and Dr. Scott Chapman on the thesis “Galaxy evolution, near and far”. Before taking up his current outreach position, He was a postdoctoral researcher at Steward Observatory, University of Arizona (2011-2012), and the Astrophysics group at the University of Cambridge (2012-2017).

His research interests are centred around understanding galaxy evolution across cosmic time. At high redshift, He studies some of the most luminous and extreme galaxies in the Universe. These extreme galaxies are a great laboratory for testing our knowledge of gas physics, star formation laws, and galaxy evolution, while providing an important challenge for our understanding of the growth of structure in the Universe.

In the local Universe he uses large surveys for gas, metals, and stars, to shed light on the physical processes governing the evolution of galaxies across all cosmic epochs.

Big Bangs and Big Rips: Cosmology in the 20th Century

In the early decades of the 20th century, our understanding of the Universe was completely revolutionised. As amazing as it may seem to us now, just a century ago the prevailing wisdom was that we lived in a tiny and eternal Universe. I will discuss the debates and evidence that allowed us to finally understand the Universe around us.

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP19 - Sunday, 13th September 2020 7:30pm BST - Big Bangs and Big Rips: Cosmology in the 20th Century by Dr Matthew Bothwell
Time: Sep 13, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/96859041375?pwd=VzlDZnNwWWllWGc1UjJSUlRCZXJ2dz09

Meeting ID: 968 5904 1375
Passcode: 082133

• Like 3

I suspect this talk will be pitched at a level above me and my six year old, but we'll certainly have a look at it later.   I just wanted to say how great Matt Bothwell's talks aimed at  kids as part of Cambridge University Astronomy on YouTube were during lockdown.   Kept my daughter engaged throughout - and she would return for repeat viewings.  All the CUA stuff was really good, but even the six year old knew that if it was a Matt Bothwell 'episode' it would be great.  Throughly recommend them for anyone with young kids but I learned plenty too - Cambridge University Astronomy  I *think* the first one is "Our Solar System & Beyond" .   Definite #lockdownhero in this house along with Maddie Moate and Greg Foot.

thanks chalks.jpg

youtube thanks.jpg

• Like 2