Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1318 - 15 hour narrowband

MartinFransson

Finally got started for the season and had a few nice nights in mid august. Still fighting some problems with spacing and/or tilt but I think it turned out all right anyway. I have two suspects and don´t quite know how to identify the culprit :) Either the TS 2" flattener is not that good or I have focuser tilt. I think. The search will continue. Rotating the camera 90 degrees gave deformed stars in the same corners as before rotating... so that might indicate what? The flattener since it rotated with the camera? Anyway, hope you like the image.

IC1318, Gamma Cygni Nebula.
Ha: 41*5 minutes
O3: 86*5 minutes
S2: 55*5 minutes
ZWO 1600MM-Cool, TS Photoline 80mm f/6 APO.
Astrodon 3nm Ha+O3 filters, Baader 8nm S2 filter

IC1318_Ha41x5_OIII86x5_SII55x5_Image25_editv2.jpg

• Like 37

On 27/08/2020 at 21:05, MartinFransson said:

Still fighting some problems with spacing and/or tilt but I think it turned out all right anyway. I have two suspects and don´t quite know how to identify the culprit :) Either the TS 2" flattener is not that good or I have focuser tilt. I think. The search will continue. Rotating the camera 90 degrees gave deformed stars in the same corners as before rotating... so that might indicate what? The flattener since it rotated with the camera? Anyway, hope you like the image.

Just a thought!  This may help, it may not!! I have the TS65EQ which was giving me worse issues than you have here. Real cone shaped stars similar to pinching. I separated the scope and slackened off the retainer rings around the lenses, then gently shook the casing and lightly tightened the retainer rings back up being extremely careful not to touch the lenses with the fine watch screwdriver. Images look as good as new now.   Check out this video from 3mins in - Scope lens

Good luck,

P.S. Excellent image by the way.

Dave.

Edited by Star101
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Star101 said:

Just a thought!  This may help, it may not!! I have the TS65EQ which was giving me worse issues than you have here. Real cone shaped stars similar to pinching. I separated the scope and slackened off the retainer rings around the lenses, then gently shook the casing and lightly tightened the retainer rings back up being extremely careful not to touch the lenses with the fine watch screwdriver. Images look as good as new now.   Check out this video from 3mins in - Scope lens

Good luck,

P.S. Excellent image by the way.

Dave.

That´s very interesting! I don´t know if I´m brave enough to try it but I will be sure to look into that some more!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 18:25, Backyard Space Dude said:

I love this! I'm trying to process my version of this same area but can't get it anywhere near what I'd like... especially when I look at this amazing example!

I always think it's good to have a reference image like this to aspire to.  If you are confident that you have good data it really gives you something to aim at.  Martin has done a truly superb job here though.  It's a sumptuous image and so cleverly processed - I think he has selectively sharpened structures across the entire frame which gives a wonderful illusion of depth of field which, given everything is essentially at infinity, isn't really there but wow it makes for an incredible image.  I have to say that this is right up there with the best deep sky images I've seen on SGL this year... and the bar is very high these days.

This and he is "fighting some problems with spacing and/or tilt". 😲

• Like 2

On 03/09/2020 at 23:30, x6gas said:

I always think it's good to have a reference image like this to aspire to.  If you are confident that you have good data it really gives you something to aim at.  Martin has done a truly superb job here though.  It's a sumptuous image and so cleverly processed - I think he has selectively sharpened structures across the entire frame which gives a wonderful illusion of depth of field which, given everything is essentially at infinity, isn't really there but wow it makes for an incredible image.  I have to say that this is right up there with the best deep sky images I've seen on SGL this year... and the bar is very high these days.

This and he is "fighting some problems with spacing and/or tilt". 😲

I am fighting those issues for sure, but the power of cropping and resizing is not to be underestimated! 🤣

Your are right about the selective sharpening. I use an extra layer in Photoshop, filtered with high pass filter and blend mode of the layer set to soft light. Then I add a layer mask and only apply it gently to the dark structures.