Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimating Laser Collimators...

I was wanting to get a decent Cheshire but Auntie @FLOis out of stock of the one I wanted.  Another option would be to buy a laser collimator, but these can be problematic due to the fact that they can be out-of-collimation!  That being said, there are several YouTube videos on how to do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZsgNlgIrqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE09_X43UUQ

This should be relatively easy for me to do.  That being said, are there some laser collimators that I should avoid like the plague?🤔

I have a baader laser colli, cant remember the model but its a half decent one, its slightly out itself but if you feel you could sort that i would happily sell it to you cheaper than normal as im moving away from reflectors. Or just get a premium Cheshire eyepiece, but yeah stock is crazy at the moment, my dovetail is going to be really late now! 

Something like the Hotech will be spot on as it comes but of course it isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for. 🙂

Had  a Baader Laser Colli but it ended up in the bin as it broke but it did need collimating to get it spot on. One thing I really like about the Hotech is that it projects a crosshair not a dot which is really useful. One thing to watch out for with the really cheap ones is that many project an irregular blob not a dot. 

However if you buy one of the cheaper lasers test it for the quality of the dot projected and send it back if not right. If the dot is a proper dot then you should be able to collimate it and end up with a usable laser.

One other thing to consider with a laser collimator is how good is your focuser? If your focuser shifts as you focus the laser isn’t going to do a good job and a Cheshire  may be better.

Edited by johninderby

49 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Something like the Hotech will be spot on as it comes but of course it isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for. 🙂

Had  a Baader Laser Colli but it ended up in the bin as it broke but it did need collimating to get it spot on. One thing I really like about the Hotech is that it projects a crosshair not a dot which is really useful. One thing to watch out for with the really cheap ones is that many project an irregular blob not a dot. 

However if you buy one of the cheaper lasers test it for the quality of the dot projected and send it back if not right. If the dot is a proper dot then you should be able to collimate it and end up with a usable laser.

One other thing to consider with a laser collimator is how good is your focuser? If your focuser shifts as you focus the laser isn’t going to do a good job and a Cheshire  may be better.

I've lived this long without a collimator, so waiting a little while longer for Auntie @FLOto get the premium Cheshire ones back in won't be a problem...

I got a Starguider laser collimator off of ebay (Skys the Limit) for £20. It can be collimated - but didn't need to be. My collimating tool is quite basic:

image.png.42c34faad384452e83994d8e8f534ff0.png

The laser image at 10m:

image.png.edeb7706cad59983337b0167c2014245.png

I find it fits OK in the Bresser focuser without any obvious movement when I rotate it or tighten it. I wouldn't use it for adjusting the secondary, but it's very useful for adjusting the primary - so you can adjust in the dark and watch the progress as you work. I do double-check with the Cheshire afterwards, and it is spot on most of the time. Takes about 1 minute.

I tried the barlowed laser method but my cheap x2 Barlow had such a high level of reflectino back from the lens, that I couldn't use it. I now have a Baader Hyperion zoom barlow, so I'll have to try again.

So in all, I find it useful. Mind you, if I had to give up the laser collimator, I wouldn't be lost without it.

As far as laser collimators to avoid like the plague, I bought a cheap (~£20) Seben Laser collimator a few years ago and it rates as possibly my worst astro purchase to date.

As delivered, 

• The on/off switch didn't work properly and it would randomly switch itself on in the box resulting in a flat battery every time it was taken out for use.
  • The index mark for the intensity settings and the off position was way out of alignment.
  • The laser dot is a spread out, diffuse kidney bean rather than a dot.
  • It was miles out of collimation and the collimation grub screws (minute 2 mm allen headed bolts) were buried under black mastic which was awkward to remove.
  • I did eventually get the switch to work, but only if used on the two settings either side of 0, but I have never managed to get it collimated satisfactorily.

However, I know other users have had good experiences with them so perhaps mine was just a bad example?

Edited by almcl

4 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

.......bizarre battery though....😀 the HoTech that is

Its a lot better than those little hearing aid type batteries which can be and fiddly to fit, and difficult to obtain the right size.

John