Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help on getting lecturers

Hiya all

i need some help and advice please does anybody on the forum know how or where i go to get guest lecturers to speak at our new club which is starting soon is there some agency listings or web site which lists guest speakers for astronomy topics any help gratefully recieved Pete

There's a bit of a chicken & egg situation here. It is easier to attract speakers if you have a good membership, and vice versa. Try looking at the websites of nearby clubs to see who is doing the rounds in your area. Initially you might need to rely on the untapped skills of your existing members.

HTH

I cannot help but where are you?

The university down the road from me used to have and probably still has an astronomy section, astronomy and astrophysics degree and MSc, and that it may be possible to ask them. Their lecturers did talks etc at the astro club where I live.

Chances are that you are some distance away, but how do I tell?

Hi Pete

I have been volunteered by the wife to give a quick something to a load of cubs sometime in March. I have been nit picking the internet collecting bits and pieces which may interest them. Needless to say my own wealth of knowledge is very small. I suppose it bounds on what people there may wish to hear on a first night so to speak.

I generally feel that those of us who stand out in the cold etc on a good night will understand the level of committment and will themselves bring some knowledge, Then their are people who are basically just interested in stars etc who would be happy to just have some idea of what can be seen, the size of things in comparison, the idea that you are looking as such back in time to a light source so to speak. Some photographs pinned to a wall, maybe a telescope or two for people to look at. Just some ideas.

Thanks guys for all your helpful advice all noted down .

I was planning on doing the first one myself on the inaugural meeting Basically a first steps into Astronomy type thing it was for later meetings i was searching for guest speakers i guess i will just take it as it comes and see who is available I have already sent an email to one possible guess speaker but am not going to tempt fate by saying too much at this stage will just await his reply and see what he says but once again many thanks for your kind help

regards Pete

Archived